1056 posts

Edited Apr 04, 2010, 23:58
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4th April 2010 CE
Apr 04, 2010, 23:36
The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
David Bowie - Station To Station
Neu! - Neu!
Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Thompson Twins - A Product Of...Participation (debut album in a post-punk style; quite different from their synth pop heyday)
Lal & Norma Waterson - A True Hearted Girl
Genesis - Spot The Pigeon/3 x 3 EPs (top notch off-cuts from 'Wind & Wuthering' and 'Abacab' respectively)
Paul Robeson - Song Of Freedom EP (soundtrack of one of the very first Hammer Films; the title track is particularly good)
Vangelis - Direct
Kraftwerk - The Mix
Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
The Beatles - Abbey Road (a jumpy original vinyl copy which turns the outro of 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' into a series of hypnotic loops which I always let play for a bit before giving the needle a nudge)
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 00:37
still on the peter hammill trail - seems like there are hundreds of albums to explore!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 02:05
redfish365 wrote:
Most of mine is online at www.rateyourmusic.com/~redfish365

Looks like I owe you a couple of toes mate. Keep your eye on your mailbox. Kidding. :)

First page and I already see you like Abunai! I'm off to find my CD of Mystic River Sound right now.

I'm going to have hours of fun looking through all this, bloody marvellous, cheers. Expect random replies over the next while as I spot common gems.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 02:36
Looking forward to your comments! If you ever become so inclined you should put your collection up at RYM. It's fun and addictive and I'd dig getting a peek at your collection.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 02:40
I'll need some minions or elves to help me do that, not a bad idea.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 04:47
mingtp wrote:
I'll need some minions or elves to help me do that, not a bad idea.

It can actually be fun and personally I found that I had a few things I'd forgotten about. It also caused me to listen to stuff that I hadn't played in eons. Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to get it done overnight... Just go at your own pace and once you're all caught up just add as you acquire. I dunno... To me its kinda enjoyable. I got my twin brother doing it too and he hates doing anything on the computer... now he's more hooked than me! His monniker is Godwaffle by the way... in case you're interested.
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Apr 05, 2010, 08:33
Apr 05, 2010, 08:32
LP’S

NO REST – Christy & Emily

QUA – Cluster

CUCKOO – Curve

SECOND LIGHT – Dreadzone

THE LIGHT USER SYNDROME – The Fall

TEUFELSWERK – Hell

BRAVE THE ELEMENTS – Lost Idol

HELIGOLAND – Massive Attack

CHAIN GANG OF LOVE – The Raveonettes

MARGERINE ECLIPSE - Stereolab

ENDLESS – VVV (Pansonic & Alan Vega)

CAN U DIG IT? (THE MUSIC & POLITICS OF BLACK ACTION FILMS 1968-75) – V/A

MUTE AUDIO DOCUMENTS (Vol 2 Disc 2) – V/A

45’s

JOY & PAIN – Donna Allen

ABSURD – Fluke

HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN – Frigid Pink

ALLEY OOP – Hollywood Argyles

EMPIRE STATE HUMAN – Human League

WHITE NIGHT – The Lines

TOUCH & GO – Magazine

SPANISH STROLL – Mink Deville

EFL – The Nightingales

PALE BLUE EYES – Paul Quinn & Edwyn Collins

I LOVE YOU SUZANNE – Lou Reed

YOU’VE LOST THAT LOVING FEELING – Righteous Brothers

CAN’T LET YOU GO – Barry Ryan

BREEZEBLOCK ROCKERY - Spaceship

SONG TO THE SIREN – This Mortal Coil

YOU DON’T KNOW ME – Armand Van Helden
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 08:45
thanks, I'll check that out if I can find it
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 08:52
Squid Tempest wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts heads up to Squid for pushing me in the direction of this, admittedly it does sound a bit 'Now Thats wWhat I Call Tangerine Dream 73-77' but carved up into small & varied enough chunks to make it worth interesting, some absolute gems spread acoss the 2cds and all are worth a listen

Glad you like it. It is still getting regular airing here, and, if anything, I'm enjoying it more now.

It's a grower isn't it, was quite confused at the press adulation it got on release as I have to a certain extent heard it all before, but the guy does a sterling job of it.
I see he has links with Emeralds who plough the same furrow but manage IMHO to sound like a watered down Cluster/Neu clone unlike OPN who manages the clever trick of sounding both new & familiar
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Apr 05, 2010, 09:01
Stevo wrote:

Thin White Rope - Exploring the Axis, In The Spanish Cave. The archetype of underated bands. How the hell did this lot not take off. Ace.

love the band, one of the greatest guitar duet ensembles ever I think Television meets country meets Sabbath? Loved finding out what the lyrics actually were after transcribing them wrong. Some of it's too obscure to get straight off but there's a site out there with lyrics on. (or not since the site I linked to on a message a while back now seems dead, shame)
Kyser went onto the Mummydogs then retired for several years, did he go into science? Think he came back with a new project over the last couple of years.
Some of the others became Acme Rocket Quartet, who were largely instrumental.
Just listening to the Walkabouts and hit a point that really reminds me of TWR as I'm typing this. Slow tautened groove sounds like a muscle being flexed the wrong way or something.
Stevo

There was another TWR spin-off band, The Graves Brothers Deluxe, with Stoo Odom, Roger Kunkel and Jozef Becker. They recorded at least two albums (being 1999's "Little Love Things" the only one I have heard).
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index