Shelagh McDonald - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
The Replacements - All Shook Down
Sandy Bull - Re-Inventions : The Best of the Vanguard Years
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4th April 2010 CE
Apr 04, 2010, 16:34
Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts heads up to Squid for pushing me in the direction of this, admittedly it does sound a bit 'Now Thats wWhat I Call Tangerine Dream 73-77' but carved up into small & varied enough chunks to make it worth interesting, some absolute gems spread acoss the 2cds and all are worth a listen

Aphex Twin-Ambient Works 85-92 makes a nice companion piece to Oneohtrix

Neurosis & Jarboe - s/t

Main - Hydra-Calm shoegaze innit LOL

Cathedral - Endtyme tradDOOOOOOOM masterpiece-spent all me money other things so until I can afford the new one this will do admirably

Bong - Gilgamesh Lives

Black Boned Angel - Verdun

JAMC - The Sound of Speed

Boris-Absolute Go,Akuma No Uta,Heavy Rocks, Pink,At Last-Feedbacker been on a bot of a Boris kick this week, always thought Boris a case of style over substance but slowly I've been coming to the conclusion that they are in fact a first class band with the added bonus of first class packaging, just picked up a copy of Pink with the acid blotter inlay and a clear pink splattered inlay tray and realised that my little collection of Boris cds need a space of their own along with the Spiritualized cds in the corner marked cd presentation that kicks ass

Spectrum meets Captain Memphis-Indian Giver in the corner marked giving A&E a good run for its money, wish I could have seen the recent live show

MV&EE - Gettin Gone,Goodbye Moonface where MV,EE & friends channel the spirits of Neil Young & the Grateful Dead respectively, makes me even more annoyed I missed them live recently because of work, was looking at their discography the other day, makes AMTs look simple I would hate being an MVEE completist as they have more record labels than I've had hot dinners

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks on a unremastered 1987 cd, still sounds damn fine to me, not a huge Van fan but I do enjoy this disc immensely
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 16:47
Thin White Rope- got a copy of Spainish cave lying around somewhere feeling unloved & unplayed, never rated them much ,saw thm live and was quite impressed but the CDs never matched, they are later than the Dream Syndicate IIRC who did it all much better, TWR seemed to have a great record collection but they never made very good cds IMHO had the one with Ya Doo Rite on it which I thinked got culled, not a patch on the Walkabouts who really should have been bigger if they hadn't got lost in the grunge flood
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 18:08
machineryelf wrote:
Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts heads up to Squid for pushing me in the direction of this, admittedly it does sound a bit 'Now Thats wWhat I Call Tangerine Dream 73-77' but carved up into small & varied enough chunks to make it worth interesting, some absolute gems spread acoss the 2cds and all are worth a listen

If you're on on OPN buzz, I suggest you get your hands on a download of A Pact Between Strangers (long OOP CDR on Wagon from 2008). Only two of it's three tracks are on Rifts; one of them being heavily slowed down compared to the version on Pact. I much prefer the Pact... version myself. Since Rifts is a near-complete compendium of everything he's done to date, you may have enough on your hands, but Pact... is definitely one that should not have slipped through the cracks as it has. Also, it has some pretty amazing artwork, imho.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 18:52
VA/ Maximum Freakbeat
VA/ The Perfumed Garden - 82 Flowerings From the British Underground 1965-73

Liquid Sound Company/ Exploring the Psychedelic
Masahiko Satoh & Soundbreakers/ Amalgamation
Obskuria/ Burning Sea of Green
Wooden Shjips/ Vol. 2
Aeolian Race/ Landlocked Nation
Aethenor/ Deep in Ocean Sank the Lamp of Light
Motorpsycho/ Heavy Metal Fruit
Supersilent/ 5
Circle/ Katapult
Don Juan Matus/ ST
Asteroid/ II
Flower Travellin Band/ Satori
Groundhogs/ Blues Obituary
Blues Creation/ Demon & Eleven Children
Bardo Pond/ Dilate
Uriah Heep/ Salisbury
Manuel Gottsching/ Live at Mt. Fuji
Radio Massacre International/ Organ Harvest
Cathedral/ Stained Glass Stories
Deep Purple/ In Rock
Gillan/ Future Shock
Frank Zappa/ Tinseltown Rebellion
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 19:06
Redfish, I'd give a couple of toes to see your music collection :)
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 22:03
mingtp wrote:
Redfish, I'd give a couple of toes to see your music collection :)

Ming, your collection is no slouch!
Most of mine is online at www.rateyourmusic.com/~redfish365
I say most because I keep finding stuff I never entered into the website back when I started and because about 1500 vinyl rock and blues albums are not entered. This is just cd for the most part.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 22:06
Re - Dave & Toni Arthur - Hearken To The Witches Rune. It is dark but due to how stark and cold it sounds. Minimal accompaniment, mostly just their voices. None of the eastern influences introduced to folk through A L Lloyd and Davy Graham and certainly none of the "Hammer Horror" attack of Comus. Scary like Carrie's Mum.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 23:15
machineryelf wrote:

Glad you like it. It is still getting regular airing here, and, if anything, I'm enjoying it more now.
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Apr 04, 2010, 23:28
The Sea Cat wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:

Dave and Toni Arthur - Hearken to the Witches Rune. BBC didn't listen to this before giving her the Playschool job.

Where on earth did you get that! I've been after it for years.
Wonderful.

Just keep looking on eBay. I got a mint condition copy for under a tenner a couple of years back.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index