Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Not liking Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 16:23
dodge one wrote:
Why defend it?

No particular reason at all. We all have our hero's and such.
I have mine.
I love it that kids still dig PINK FLOYD.

Early Floyd is majestic genius. That lad has taste. There is hope after all.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 16:25
stray wrote:
So.. Cultural stagnation, musically speaking, is a good thing ?

*Stray then plays some Lottie Kimbrough recordings seemingly oblivious to the irony* :D

That Shakespeare's so dated. Same with Mozart. Move along please. Nothing to be gained.
;-)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 16:30
Re: Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 16:29
dodge one wrote:
Really, were on the same page for the most part.
Clapton leaving the 'Bird's ?
The Beano album is a masterpiece. 'Double Crossing Time' is a masterwork in early feedback technique.
Also to address an earlier comment regarding 'Cocaine'. That was a sage nod and tip of the hat to JJ CALE. Clapton has allways had perfect sense in whom he has chosen to admire.
Page's stuff.....he owe's an Immense debt to Bert Jansch. Love him too though....on his own merits.
Same for BECK.

Indeed. The Beano album is excellent, as were Cream. Not a fan of solo Eric, but respect where it's due. Oh, and George Harrison had a good ear didn't he, during the White Album sessions.

As Neil Young said, Bert Jansch is the Jimi of the acoustic. None can touch the Bert.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 16:44
IanB wrote:

Strummer was memorable for the odd stirring couplet,

See it's soon as I heard the atrociously trite 'Let me tell you bout your blood bamboo kid, it ain't coca cola it's rice' that made me, aged 15, think of them forever more as sheer offensive toss.

I'm sure those children out there didn't realise how wretched things were for them until the son of a diplomat had to tell it to em straight!

:-)

x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 16:52
Dec 14, 2009, 16:48
sanshee wrote:
IanB wrote:

Strummer was memorable for the odd stirring couplet,

See it's soon as I heard the atrociously trite 'Let me tell you bout your blood bamboo kid, it ain't coca cola it's rice' that made me, aged 15, think of them forever more as sheer offensive toss.

I'm sure those children out there didn't realise how wretched things were for them until the son of a diplomat had to tell it to em straight!

:-)

x

Well put like that it isn't exactly Walter Benjamin but it was an improvement on

>I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad,
But I knew love before I left my nursery,
Left alone with big fat Fanny<

If "write what you know" is the best advice you can get as a lyricist then I am not sure that Joe Strummer and Freddie weren't both being somewhat economical with la verite.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 16:57
Not to mention, what the fuck does a 20 year old dope really know about?
Ever really listened to the lyric content of those old Rock-a-billy records?
Nothing new under the sun. And political conscience is no bad thing.
Even if it is a bit mis-informed or naive. That's what maturing as a person or artist is about.
At least Strummer didn't die a Shit death like Sid 'Viscous'.
But there's that punk Cred thing. Gotta have a smack addled Ma for that right?
CRED.
I never bought that shit a minute.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 17:29
Dec 14, 2009, 17:28
The Sea Cat wrote:

Early Floyd is majestic genius. That lad has taste. There is hope after all.

If you mean my example it weren't a lad. She also likes 'Sheep on Drugs' so.. I remain optimistic for different reasons.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 17:28
dodge one wrote:
Elf, were the same age.
In fact you, Ian, Hunter, Tones, a few others whose names escape me at the mo.....are more likely to get my attention on matters musical than most here. Simply because of the fact that i know we lived through those era's in particular. CLAPTON does NOT suck. In fact, without belaboring the point, i would argue, {given the time}, That it was him and Mike Bloomfield that showed everyone after..."How it's done". And with what gear to do it with.
'Limited' noodly playing? I guess BB King should have fucked off in 1955 then.
KrautRock is NOT better. That's my opinion.
I never meant to say that you shouldn't have yours either. But all this 'he sucks' buissness, and the like....very distastefull.
I Love Leslie West...Have all the original LP's too.
But i'd personally rather discuss Leslie based on his own merits, than even try to compare him with Clapton. And Eric did it first.
Ever seen Leslie with the Vagrants?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OvNPhrr33Y

He's the one that looks like a rhino.

Whatever, Clapton, except in Cream, just doesn't do it for me. I just don't dig white-man blues.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 17:31
The Sea Cat wrote:

As Neil Young said, Bert Jansch is the Jimi of the acoustic. None can touch the Bert.

Not true, John Renbourn always could, and today is by far the better player.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 17:32
That is subjective and NOT a fact.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index