Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 12:57
Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 12:55
Yep. I like some of their tunes, I never looked at them as providing some great political or artistic insights tbh.

Also I think all this 'authentic' shite is something that mostly people.. well.. of our age get upset about as we were brought up on music journalism that banged on about it so much.

Rock n roll, meh, I play some occasionally but prefer other things these days.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:07
Same here. I could sing along to London Calling, and probably recognise a few of theiur others, but they were just a few years before my time, and I never cared to go and look for them. So no real opinion on J. H. Cope's comments. I don't know enough about it.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:15
Popel Vooje wrote:
There's never been any excuse for triple albums (awaits reciminations from angry Yes and ELP fans).

My grandfather didn't die in the crimea so that young scoundrels like yourself can dismiss fine musicianship and the long lost art of song based story telling. Maybe if some of the so called ''musicians'' you reprobates listened too actually learnt to sing and play the country wouldn't be in the state it is.I'm now going to write a stern letter to the Daily Express demanding the reintroduction of birching for you and your punkrock friends

yours sincerely angry Barclay James Harvest Fan, the home counties
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:35
Lord Lucan wrote:
Reading through Cope's review of the month I was really chuffed to read someone put into words what I've always felt about The Clash. I've never liked them, even though I've often felt on my own on this one. They've always struck me as humourless and overly earnest with a daft load of macho posturing and, at their worst, patronising. And anything that feels the need to declare itself as 'authentic' has always struck me as suspect. Protesting too much to be convincing. And the same goes for The Manic Street Preachers whose only difference is the willingness to use make-up. At last it's OK to say that The Clash say nothing to me about my life.

Why are you Brits so quick to slag off your rock musicians?
First off {not to just the O.P., but in general, and musing out loud here}, It should be a rule here on this site that everybody has to show there age.
Because is it worth it to even bother arguing about a band or artist with a person that wasn't even old enough to have lived through that era? Or were 10 years old? How the fuck does that person contextualize that era?
Or it's politics? As written and sung by 20 year olds? 30 years ago!
It would seem that Rock and Roll history is being currently Re-written by 35 year olds, right before my eyes. Re-written by people who never even owned the original records in the first place, and likely have heard the music they 'Know' all about as a stolen downloads in low fucking bitrate on an ipod through tiny earphones. Oh and a Google WIKI page. INSTANT expert.
That said.....The list of artists that get slagged off here on a regular basis just stuns me...

Clapton, Floyd, The Clash{now}, Genesis,ELP, YES,....loads of others....

KRAUT-ROCK is WAAAaaaaaayyyyyy better.....Or so i'm told.

I really didn't personally give a shit about most 80's music. I was too busy spending my bread on back catalog that i finally had the money to afford, and rated far better on my meter than the 'Flock of{fucking} seagulls'.
Roy Buchanon and Danny Gatton were more my speed in those days.
I grew up in the 60's and 70's in AWE of Clapton. I'm gonna have some snot nose tell me he 'Sucks' now? Please.....What he wasn't consistantly 'Brilliant' enough for 45 years straight? He should just fuck off and quit playing music now because some snob says so?
Strummer....i didn't really pay too much attention the first time, he was part of my younger brothers stuff. I did really wake up to his output with the Mescalero's though. About the only musically and lyrically optimistic look to the future i remember from the 90's. Some days i desperately need that.
Strummer,The guy served too. I know....i'm old enough to remember.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 13:38
Dec 14, 2009, 13:38
Popel Vooje wrote:
Agreed. I always disliked them, too. Too po-faced and serious, which - given that Strummer was always a posho pretending to be a working class hero - is not a good attribute. Plus, "Sandinista" bores the ass off me. There's never been any excuse for triple albums (awaits reciminations from angry Yes and ELP fans).

Not too keen on ELP, but Yes, from The Yes Album through to Going For The One, were magnificent. It's not all Van Der Graaf and Krautrock on this boat. Tales From Topographic oceans is a great work. I'd rather be inspired by a Yogi than a middle class 'punk' any day. All that spitting and vulgar to-do. Dreadful trousers as well. Go one, Popel, give Topographic Oceans a try, you know you want to, deep down. It could be the start of something quite beautiful.
;-)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:41
hard to believe this is still going on, it was obvious the Clash couldn't walk the walk the day 'Give Em Enough Rope' came out, and even by that point punk had shot itself in the mouth enough times for anyone to realise that it wasn't the great messiah it was meant to be
They made some decent records if you like that sort of thing, they opened a few peoples eyes to politics, reggae and stencils. History has its way and the Pistols are the band everyone thinks of when you say punk, the Damned had the first single etc etc, they occupy the same space as Hermans Hermits,Diamondhead or Alice In Chains,runners up in the history of rock
If anything it was the music writers of Q et al who built them up at the end of the 80s, start of the 90s with the constant claims of their cultural significance which were more to do with the writers lack of adventure than any greatness on the part of the Clash
Still i'd rather listen to the Clash than Radiohead who seem to have inherited their mantle
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:49
dodge one wrote:
Lord Lucan wrote:
Reading through Cope's review of the month I was really chuffed to read someone put into words what I've always felt about The Clash. I've never liked them, even though I've often felt on my own on this one. They've always struck me as humourless and overly earnest with a daft load of macho posturing and, at their worst, patronising. And anything that feels the need to declare itself as 'authentic' has always struck me as suspect. Protesting too much to be convincing. And the same goes for The Manic Street Preachers whose only difference is the willingness to use make-up. At last it's OK to say that The Clash say nothing to me about my life.

Why are you Brits so quick to slag off your rock musicians?
First off {not to just the O.P., but in general, and musing out loud here}, It should be a rule here on this site that everybody has to show there age.
Because is it worth it to even bother arguing about a band or artist with a person that wasn't even old enough to have lived through that era? Or were 10 years old? How the fuck does that person contextualize that era?
Or it's politics? As written and sung by 20 year olds? 30 years ago!
It would seem that Rock and Roll history is being currently Re-written by 35 year olds, right before my eyes. Re-written by people who never even owned the original records in the first place, and likely have heard the music they 'Know' all about as a stolen downloads in low fucking bitrate on an ipod through tiny earphones. Oh and a Google WIKI page. INSTANT expert.
That said.....The list of artists that get slagged off here on a regular basis just stuns me...

I really didn't personally give a shit about most 80's music. I was too busy spending my bread on back catalog that i finally had the money to afford, and rated far better on my meter than the 'Flock of{fucking} seagulls'.
Roy Buchanon and Danny Gatton were more my speed in those days.
I grew up in the 60's and 70's in AWE of Clapton. I'm gonna have some snot nose tell me he 'Sucks' now? Please.....What he wasn't consistantly 'Brilliant' enough for 45 years straight? He should just fuck off and quit playing music now because some snob says so?
Strummer....i didn't really pay too much attention the first time, he was part of my younger brothers stuff. I did really wake up to his output with the Mescalero's though. About the only musically and lyrically optimistic look to the future i remember from the 90's. Some days i desperately need that.
Strummer,The guy served too. I know....i'm old enough to remember.

I was born in 1968, I'm Irish, and I love Floyd, Cream, Yes and Genesis etc (until Hackett left)! Quality is timeless.
;-)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 13:52
dodge one wrote:

it is D1, way way way better, except ELP of course who can kick any mofos arse

dodge one wrote:

I grew up in the 70s and we hated him because he was a dull old noodly fuck, we dug Judas Priest & Motorhead, then the Ramones & The MC5 becausethey rocked, and didn't sing dribbly songs about cocaine

Having seen Clapton live I can say that is where he should stay, his records are by and large ordinary with some tasteful if limited guitar playing, of the 3 in the Yardbirds he comes in well behind Beck who deserves all the accolades he gets and should get most of Claptons, and Page who pisses over Clapton in just about every respect bar being in Cream

And whilst i'm in a Clapton WTF mood Cream who gives a shit . Leslie West & Mountain do it better/louder/longer/nicer and they wrote the theme to weekend world
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 13:57
Dec 14, 2009, 13:54
So what do you reckon is better then?

This? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7Ab8tX590

or...

This? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3iniTXxjg
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dreadful Trousers
Dec 14, 2009, 13:54
The Sea Cat wrote:
All that spitting and vulgar to-do. Dreadful trousers as well.

I think we can close this thread down now, game set & match to the seacat
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index