Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 19:29
Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 19:10
machineryelf wrote:
I've always liked it because at least they sound as if they are pushing still at the edges , unlike many of the modern prog bands who obviously have studied the John Petrucci widdly manual amd the wakeman palmer chord book til they can do it in their sleep, defeats the object of playing in 11/7 and changing key every 4 milliseconds if it sounds easy

Ah there's a vital truth there. Bruford talks about the dead end of boundless technique in his book. There was music in those early explorations which seems to have got lost somewhere in the search for conservatory perfection.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 19:45
Re: Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 19:41
stray wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

As Neil Young said, Bert Jansch is the Jimi of the acoustic. None can touch the Bert.

Not true, John Renbourn always could, and today is by far the better player.

John Renbourn is outstanding, and I have many of his albums and admire him greatly, but the nuances and techniques in Bert's playing have that edge and are pure Davis/Coltrane with Broonzy etc. For me, anyway.

edit: Pentangle Reunion gig in Cardiff, the best concert I've ever attended.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Not liking Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 19:49
stray wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Early Floyd is majestic genius. That lad has taste. There is hope after all.

If you mean my example it weren't a lad. She also likes 'Sheep on Drugs' so.. I remain optimistic for different reasons.

All the better, Floyd-wise, and as what Sheep On Drugs do...makes me want to start taking drugs again as well.
;-)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 19:56
stray wrote:
For me KFJC is the one I listen to mostly, which is always live so no repeats on that one. But its not actually a net only station but a US college radio station (one of the few that isnt some wet NPR thing these days that I could find). Yeah, it does have a C&W show,and some annoying sports show but on the whole is highly reliable and very out there in what it plays. I've discovered a lot of good music thru it, even donated to it recently
http://www.kfjc.org/netcast/index.php
other faves are
http://angelradio.co.uk/ cos I have a thing for music pre 1950, and its great to work to in the background and
http://iwayhigh.net/ cos I like my dub, especially the new stuff that gets played on there.

wayhigh does repeat,as does angel radio, but angel radio has multiple stations that mitigate that.

Tried tuning into KFJC but I must've got the country show you were talking about. Yuck!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 19:58
Re: Not liking Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 19:57
The Sea Cat wrote:
stray wrote:
[quote="The Sea Cat"]
Early Floyd is majestic genius. That lad has taste. There is hope after all.

If you mean my example it weren't a lad. She also likes 'Sheep on Drugs' so.. I remain optimistic for different reasons.

All the better, Floyd-wise, and as what Sheep On Drugs do? Had a creepy in Norfolk once. Anyway, See Emily play is an exercise in utter genius.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 20:13
I can't see anything about The Clash in there. What did he say?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 20:18
Shame I was listening to Warsaw - Novelty a couple of hours ago and some other good stuff. Tis worth checking back on sometime.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 21:17
just ordered the Bruford book from the library, along with a Rick Wakeman book, so that my xmas reading sorted
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 21:20
I doesn't happen to be their eye-candy bassist, does it? ;-)
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 21:29
Yep
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index