Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 14:20
Elf, were the same age.
In fact you, Ian, Hunter, Tones, a few others whose names escape me at the mo.....are more likely to get my attention on matters musical than most here. Simply because of the fact that i know we lived through those era's in particular. CLAPTON does NOT suck. In fact, without belaboring the point, i would argue, {given the time}, That it was him and Mike Bloomfield that showed everyone after..."How it's done". And with what gear to do it with.
'Limited' noodly playing? I guess BB King should have fucked off in 1955 then.
KrautRock is NOT better. That's my opinion.
I never meant to say that you shouldn't have yours either. But all this 'he sucks' buissness, and the like....very distastefull.
I Love Leslie West...Have all the original LP's too.
But i'd personally rather discuss Leslie based on his own merits, than even try to compare him with Clapton. And Eric did it first.
Ever seen Leslie with the Vagrants?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OvNPhrr33Y

He's the one that looks like a rhino.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:23
Dec 14, 2009, 14:22
The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Agreed. I always disliked them, too. Too po-faced and serious, which - given that Strummer was always a posho pretending to be a working class hero - is not a good attribute. Plus, "Sandinista" bores the ass off me. There's never been any excuse for triple albums (awaits reciminations from angry Yes and ELP fans).

Not too keen on ELP, but Yes, from The Yes Album through to Going For The One, were magnificent. It's not all Van Der Graaf and Krautrock on this boat. Tales From Topographic oceans is a great work.

I was with you all the way to the last sentence. TFTO would have been a pretty great 45 minutes if they had dumped all but five minutes of sides 2 & 3. Maybe I missed something but musically it strikes me as being the "Sandinista" of Prog - too much ego at work with no strong editorial hand. Did I miss something important on those middle two sides? For me 15 minutes of "Awaken" reaches the parts that 90 minutes of TFTO can't reach.

I just think that there's some very interesting things going on. Granted, it doesn't all work, but when it meshes it's brilliant. I think because of the weaker rambling moments, people don't bother sticking at it with an open ear, so to speak. It is a rampant behemoth of course, but there's some wonderful things going on in there that don't merit it the overly maligned reputation. In a way, it sums up everthing that's great and bad about prog. Maybe that's also why I'm so fond of it.

That's a very good reason to love anything. Which is why 1900, New York New York and Heaven's Gate will always appear in my favourite movie lists .....
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:28
what do you think of the Birthday Party? not exactly punk though shaped by it, but definitely largely public school.

Bark psychosis was a good band of ex public school boys too.

Oh & both of those had a much larger ratio of public school to not than the Clash.
not that they're my favourite band or anything. Do like bits of their lps though.
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:40
just you remember that ;-)

nothing like imposed heirarchies to aid debate, is there.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Not liking Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 14:42
For me its because I feel his gear has absolutely no emotional content at all, or that its emotional content is below secondary in importance to him. Its fuck all to do with 'noodling' but all about my complete inability to connect with it. Its subjective innit ?. Much like your own 'in claptons defence' post, or any post on unsung, its silly to get het up by it all really.

I fully expect this thread to turn into a 200 hundred post shitfest too btw. It's already larger than it prolly should be, but hey its the holiday season, lets all get dumb.
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:50
Nobody replied to that, but I read it and thought it was very well said.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: Not liking Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 14:53
You make my point about having lived through the period, for me.
Clapton and the like, and many others too, are what i grew up with and resonate to. I have all the ephemera from the era as reminders. I wouldn't trade them for anyone's mountain of pirated/burned cd's.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Clapton
Dec 14, 2009, 14:56
Really have never got the Clapton thing, he is limited , not in a BB King way, in a compared to his peers and in particular his Yardbirds fellows Page & Beck he is not very versatile, he does Clapton very well , but that's all he's done, maybe it's the people he has worked with but I doubt he has ever had the ability to write something as good as 'The Rain Song'
It really is summed up by the fact that he left the Yardbirds because they wanted to be more adventurous, his replacements took the guitar to places Clapton can only dream of.
Page has/had? an ear for music, his sound whether you like Zep or not was a wonder, & Beck was busy inventing jazz that rocked , as opposed to all that piffly Jazzrockwatchmychopsbananavishnu rubbish that certain other folk seem to like
Clapton filled the Albert Hall for 40 days & nights and released a swill of weakassed less & less bluespop until he made Phil Collins seem magesterial

Seen live he does have some power and gathered together his canon is impressive, but probably less so than say Steve Winwood for example. I have never seen why he is held up as a shining example of 70s rock when someone like Peter Frampton is rightly reviled for being poop.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:56
I love TFTO too, but I admire your nerve for stating this so boldly around here!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 14, 2009, 14:58
I must go back and give those middle two sides another go.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index