Unsung Forum »
Loop vs Spacemen 3

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Loop vs Spacemen 3
Apr 28, 2008, 15:53
The glass singles CD is the S3 I play the most, at the time I managed to pick up all the Loop singles, but never managed to get any S3, did Loop have better distribution, I was flitting about all over in the years 87-89ish so I wasn't really up on anything and just picked up what i found in whichever record shop I happened upon.Of course it may just have been that all the S3 records had gone and the Loop ones were left over
I saw Loop live, they were spot on when they got going, but I've never heard any boots of them, anyone know any sites [not torrents, can't be arsed + works computer frowns upon such frippery]
Never saw S3 but I do have some boots that are mindblowing, 30+mins of Suicide in Switzerland is a particular highpoint,and I've been giving Dreamweapon a good caning lately so it's Spacemen 3 for me
And some of the best live shows I've seen in the last few years [or ever] have been by Spiritualized so that's 2-0 to S3
I'll give Loop a point back as I think the early stuff was better [16 dreams is a cracking record] but as they progressed S3s bigger record collection showed through
Loop also gain points because my wife who generally can't be arsed with such things does like their version of ''Mothersky''.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 17:04
There are definitely 5or 6 live loop sets that were torrented cos I got them last year. Not sure if they'd be available anywhere else & probably gone from dime anyway.
I think my friend Mat taped them several times. But also think that it was their dressing room his jacket & recording walkman was nicked out of.
Have wondered if there's any live video around. I think there was a snub feature on them.

Spacemen 3 had a live set filmed in Arnhem in '89 which I've got.
Stevo
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 17:42
Arse-candles! I usually don't buy Spiritualized records, then see them in the bargain bin and think of all the creamy positive reviews...a few earth pounds and I end up with another Spiritualized album that is somewhere between OK and cack. Though If I keep buying them, I will soon have enough good Spiritiualized songs to make my own good album...
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 18:31
Can't argue with that, I remember seeing a thread discussing the finding of 30 crates of 'Amazing Grace' in a poundshop, and if buying 3000 spiritualized cds at a pound each was a good investment. After finding another 3000 copies on E-bay at 50p each they decided to leave them there.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 18:36
I'm sure I rember seeing some live Loop footage on the TV,pretty early on, 3 shadows playing in some strobe lights, have no idea what it was though.That description could fit a lot of late 80s bands though
I keep my eyes open surfing the net for some live Loop, but Loop is a name that doesn't google too well, so if I ever find any I'm sure it will be down to luck rather than design
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 18:56
How about typing "(band)" after typing "Loop"?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 19:02
there are too many Loop Guru, Loop Foundation,future Loop foundation, Associated loop foundation of the galactic empire etc to make it that easy
unfortunately
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 19:03
I have 6, if you need.
otherwise try typing band members names. Robert Hampson & I'm afraid I don't know the others by surname offhand.
Stevo
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 19:07
cheers Stevo that would be much appreciated, I'll mail you, I'd offer something in return if I didn't think you already have it.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Apr 29, 2008, 10:04
They were both cracking live, esp around 1987 when you could contrast them with everything else on offer, which was basically C86 on it's last legs - in fact I first saw Loop in 87 supporting a very jangly Jim Beattie era Primal Scream in Bristol - it worked very well as a double bill.
I still think S3 had the edge - and live you saw what a good drummer Roscoe was, which never came through on the records.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index