Panama Ltd, Indian Summer Harvest 1970

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: Panama Ltd, Indian Summer Harvest 1970
Mar 15, 2008, 04:34
The truth is that part of Panama's appeal is that the label 'Harvest' is collected.

So anyone who collects rare records and labels will pick up the Indian Summer LP irrespective of whether they have heard it, the exceptions being ELO and Roy Wood. There was a '45 called lady of shallot I think, I bought it because I collect Harvest..I am ashamed to say that I have not played it,,but its in order with my other HAR5000 series '45s, along with Barrett, Mike Chapman, Dave Mason, Forest, all Kevin Ayers (that took 23 years to get) Piblokto EBB, Deep Purple, and ...Tea & Symphony...etc
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 18, 2008, 01:57
Yeah, I find all that amazing, also. I remember most of those bands but not what they sounded like. I remember seeing the Melody Maker and the list of club listings. I can vaguely understand people collecting the Panama Limited LPs irrespective of what they sounded like because they were Harvest. What remains a mystery is why a pirate company made a CD! We don't get any royalties for the sales from a bootleg CD but our legend continues! Actually, I am fond of some of our songs, although it is not exactly how I want to be remembered. How about these lines from Dave Griffiths "Future"
"Confirming our fears of a future city
Dusty streets of rags and litter filth
The smell of sweat and the threat of slow suffocation"

Actually, the future did not turn out to be that bad.
Anne
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Mar 18, 2008, 16:33
Mar 18, 2008, 02:45
Have you ever thought about buying back the masters and reissuing the album yourself? Or with any of the others?

Were there any tracks recorded and not issued?

Any live shows recorded?
unmanage
1 posts

Oct 14, 2008, 11:46
Annie Matthews! Where have you been?

It's Ian Anderson here - no, not that one, other readers, the one who had Ian Anderson's Country Blues Band in '68/'69.

Annie - you may be as surprised as me to know that after having been thought lost since the early 70s, the master tapes of Stereo Death Breakdown have resurfaced from deep in EMIs vaults and the album will be re-issued in January 2009 to mark its 40th anniversary (it has been fetching ridiculous 3-figure prices among Japanese collectors!) Your singing on Lonesome Day sounds as great as the day it was recorded. Would love to get in touch, if only to give you a copy when it's out.

And of course Pete Hossell, Ron & Brian from the original Panamas were on a couple of tracks on the album too. Any clues as to their whereabouts?

I've never seen this board before - somebody spotted your posting on it after I put out a query as to people's whereabouts - so I don't know what the rul;es are here for giving contact info. But these days I edit a music mag called fRoots and if you Google that, you'll find our email and phone number on the left side of the front page. Would be great to hear from you. And if you look for Blue Blokes 3 on MySpace, you'll find out what I'm still up to musically.

What did we ever do before they invented the internet?

Ian A
ROCKPROF
4 posts

Oct 23, 2008, 17:07
Elo Annie,
was just listening to Indian Summer and thought I would check out some info on Google about the lp and found out you wrote in response to my review,thinking I was Copey.Got to say its a great lp and its a shame they pubbed up your track.

Glad the lp got re-issued recently, I managed to get to hhear it through a mate who plays bass for Robert Plant(name drop).

Im nothing to do with Panama Ltd by the way, just a record nutter who also plays lead guitar with The Heads.

Thats all.

p
mamasue
1 posts

Oct 24, 2008, 04:14
Hey Anne Matthews!!! Remember Susan Kiss????
I've been trying to find you for years!!
Got loads to talk about... Hallfield, Les Cousins...
Was idly googling and found you here....
I'm now living in the USA too!!
I know you haven't looked in since March.... but if you look in again, please get in touch!!!
artemax
2 posts

Jan 31, 2009, 00:58
Ian:
You were asking about the whereabouts of some of the Panama Limited members.
I was part of the original band before Pete Hossell and also played guitar, a National.
Denis Parker was in a trio with Rodney Goodall and myself in the early 60's and I introduced him to the Panama Limited.
The Panama Limited original line up was Chris Anderson, a brilliant Noah Lewis style harmonica player, Ron Needes on mandolin, jug and kazoo, Brian Strachan on guitar and myself on National and kazoo. We recorded some tracks on two albums by Saydisc which some of which have been re released on a composite CD. No royalties I hasten to say.
I haven't seen any of the members in years although Denis and I did get in touch via e-mail.
I now live in Santa Barbara, Calif and New York City
Anthony Slayter-Ralph
artemax
2 posts

Feb 03, 2009, 22:33
You were asking about the whereabouts of some of the Panama Limited members.
I was part of the original band before Pete Hossell and also played guitar, a National.
Denis Parker was in a trio with Rodney Goodall and myself in the early 60's and I introduced him to the Panama Limited.
The Panama Limited original line up was Chris Anderson, a brilliant Noah Lewis style harmonica player, Ron Needes on mandolin, jug and kazoo, Brian Strachan on guitar and myself on National and kazoo. We recorded some tracks on two albums by Saydisc which some of which have been re released on a composite CD. No royalties I hasten to say.
I haven't seen any of the members in years although Denis and I did get in touch via e-mail.
I now live in Santa Barbara, Calif and New York City
Anthony Slayter-Ralph
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 07, 2009, 01:29
I am amazed! I have not posted here in a year, and I come back and find Ian A Anderson and my childhood friend ! Also, I learn that Lonesome Day Blues has been rereleased on Stereo Death Breakdown. I am Anster99 on MySpace but I don't go there much, and Anne Matthews in Mass on Facebook. Anne
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 07, 2009, 01:36
Somene asked about buying back the masters. I think EMI told me long ago that they had destroyed the masters!!!!! Nevertheless, pirated versions appear. The members of Panama Limited are scattered all over the planet: Toronto, St. John, Bristol, London, Massachusetts. Denis is making CDs of his music.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index