Unsung Forum »
Panama Ltd, Indian Summer Harvest 1970

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
deeana56
9 posts

Panama Ltd, Indian Summer Harvest 1970
Mar 13, 2008, 23:49
Imagine my surprise while Googling "Panama Ltd. Indian Summer" out of idle curiosity, to see whether the album that I had been involved in making so many decades ago, had been recently reviewed by someone named Julian Cope in 2007!!!

I was indeed the once beautiful Anne Matthews, who wailed like a blues banshee on the track called "Dangle Wild."

Well, if anyone is remotely interested, Denis Parker, the amazing frontman and songwriter for Panama Ltd left for Northern Canada shortly after the album sank into oblivion, and he has a fairly pure Blues CD out on sale called something like "Snowman Blues." I think he has snow on his roof, or some such joke, but he certainly lives in Newfoundland in a town called St. John that has a fair amount of snow! It is possible to listen to some MP3's from his CD is you Google Denis with one "N" Parker and get to the web page that is hosting sales of his CD. I offer this for information. I am not his agent or anything.

What is also of some surprise is how Indian Summer resurfaces from time to time. I learned that there was a bootleg album released that had a sleeve that did not open out. Real albums have a double sleeve. Some company called "Fingerprint Records" made a bootleg CD of Indian Summer in the 90s but I cannot find it any more. It used to be available to purchase on-line. That is strange because the original album sold about 3,000 copies only.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Panama Ltd, Indian Summer Harvest 1970
Mar 14, 2008, 00:00
Wow, Thanks for your post. I have the Fingerprints album. Their also has been a Russian bootleg I believe.

Wasn.t there also a 2nd Panama album?
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 00:16
There was a first Panama album! The core of the group was Denis Parker, Gary Compton and Brian Stachan, and then the first album featured Pete Hossell and Liz Hann as vocalists. It was a pure jug band album. It came out before there ever was a Mungo Jerry.
The second album did not have Pete and Liz but had myself and Dave Griffiths. Denis had written most of the songs and he had been severely affected by "Trout Mask Replica." Dave played string bass, electric bass, electric violin, mandolin, and wrote songs, and he was also in another band at the same time called Urban Clearway. He left Panama Ltd, and it was a crushing blow, as if we had lost four people!
Mungo Jerry had the smash hit "In the Summer Time" in the UK right when we released Indian Summer. What an irony. Here we were trying to move forward musically, and then the record company wanted to move us backwards to pure Jug band music. The song from our album that should have been released as a single, "Indian Summer" was considered by the record company producers and such as nothing like "In the Summer Time" being slow and mournful. How ironic that roughly 35 years later Norah Jones would have a huge hit with a slow bluesy ballad from the same record company. It is all about the timing, I guess!

I was looking for more on Denis and he is part of a large group of St. John Blues musicians who play at a club called the Fat Cat. There are web pages under the name Rowdy Blues and Fat Cat that feature him and what he is doing now.
Anne
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 01:13
How about a reunion. I am sure the songs are pretty well lived now. Lots of resonance.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 09:25
deeana56 wrote:
Imagine my surprise while Googling "Panama Ltd. Indian Summer" out of idle curiosity, to see whether the album that I had been involved in making so many decades ago, had been recently reviewed by someone named Julian Cope in 2007!!!

Don't mean to put a downer on you, but I don't think that review is by Julian Cope himself, it is by one of the Unsung contributors (i.e. a visitor to this site) called Rockprof.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1804
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Mar 14, 2008, 23:57
deeana56 wrote:

I was indeed the once beautiful Anne Matthews, who wailed like a blues banshee on the track called "Dangle Wild."

Well, if anyone is remotely interested, Denis Parker, the amazing frontman and songwriter for Panama Ltd left for Northern Canada shortly after the album sank into oblivion, and he has a fairly pure Blues CD out on sale called something like "Snowman Blues." I think he has snow on his roof, or some such joke, but he certainly lives in Newfoundland in a town called St. John that has a fair amount of snow! It is possible to listen to some MP3's from his CD is you Google Denis with one "N" Parker and get to the web page that is hosting sales of his CD. I offer this for information. I am not his agent or anything.

What is also of some surprise is how Indian Summer resurfaces from time to time. I learned that there was a bootleg album released that had a sleeve that did not open out. Real albums have a double sleeve. Some company called "Fingerprint Records" made a bootleg CD of Indian Summer in the 90s but I cannot find it any more. It used to be available to purchase on-line. That is strange because the original album sold about 3,000 copies only.

I got the LP a few years ago (where were you and the bloke in the black tshirt walking?..is it a Hipgnosis cover)

and inside was an agency poster..let me know if you want a copy of it
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 15, 2008, 04:03
Yes, it was a Hypgnosis cover. We were walking on a beach at Dungerness. It was an amazing day with not a cloud in the sky.
Anne
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 15, 2008, 04:07
We are all so far away from each other, now! Denis is in Newfoundland, Brian is in Toronto, I am in the U.S.A., Gary is in London, and I don't know about Dave, but very likely Bristol. I don't think anyone really cares to hear us again! I have fantasies of a video. There were no videos in our day. Of course, we are so old now...That is what is amazing about the LP or CD. Many of the songs stand the test of time.
Anne
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 15, 2008, 04:10
Well, see I am not in the U.K. and so I don't even know who Julian Cope is, so whether it was Julian Cope or Rockprof, or who-knows-who, it still is totally amazing to me that ANYONE would review an LP released in 1970 and which hardly sold any copies!!!!!
My mother used to bug E.M.I and ask them "Where's the money?" She was getting old and senile, of course.
Anne
deeana56
9 posts

Mar 15, 2008, 04:17
On second thoughts, then, seeing how totally unlikely it is that anyone would review an album made 38 years ago that hardly sold any copies, maybe "Rockprof" is one of the former members of the band! Just a thought. Gary maybe, since he is supposed to be in the U.K.

Whoever he is, he hated the song that I wrote, and I was not too thrilled with its execution. The legendary Jeff Jarrett, who was the sound engineer at Abbey Road who worked with the Beatles suggested that he play pub-style piano on that track. I thought that the end result was horrible. Jeff's style was not blues piano so much as pub piano.
Anne

Don't mean to put a downer on you, but I don't think that review is by Julian Cope himself, it is by one of the Unsung contributors (i.e. a visitor to this site) called Rockprof.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/1804

[/quote]
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index