Unsung Forum »
John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dee
1955 posts

Re: John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania
Nov 11, 2007, 19:42
...or rather, acc to the sleevenotes, this music, like the Dark Ages has hardly been written about. So it isnt 'Trendy' or 'doom'....ok! It sound very British oldy worldy get the wickerman out to me!!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 20:04
got a bit sidetracked here, i was more on about trees comments about dark[ what's w/ all this "dark" rubbish anyway? are they goths? nazis? odinists? onanists?]than the album in question which isn't in the least bit doom or goth.
I still stick to my point that a lot of black/doom/drone seems to be quieting down, much like Zep on III, Swans after 87 or Current 93 going from clangity tape looping to what they are
Actually when i first saw this it was the 'dark' bit that grabbed me, i'm sure if it had said Medieval Folk Songs Revived i would probably have skated right on past.It was the free downloads that really sold it to me though, just hope the CDs as good as the free stuff
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 20:19
It may not be doom or goth, but imagine if you plugged this into some Fuck Off Orange amps blasting at mega decibels and got Om to jam along with it, fucking magic.
Just shows there is nothing new in the world
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

re:
Nov 11, 2007, 20:37
Not heard the comp yet in it's entirety (looking forward to it though) but I've enjoyed the music of many of the artists on it before and have even worked with several of them on other musical projects myself and to be honest the vast majority of them have nothing to do with that so-called Neo-Folk stuff mentioned earlier in the thread or whatever bollocks name someone wants to give it.
I know Mark the fella who curated this comp occasionally posts on this forum, and he's always been keen to distance himself not only from the trendy posturing of certain so-called "folk" artists (new weird america anyone, blah) who probably dropped "folk music" as a fashion accessory a couple of years ago anyway and even more so those so-called Neo-folk types with extreme right-wing politics.
Without actually hearing the record itself all I can say is that I've never met someone more committed than this compilation's curator in promoting folk music in all it's forms whatever people's vastly differing definitions of the form are, whether it be traditional folk, folk rock, or the more experimentally based stuff the purists like to sniff at. Personally I'm an avid follower of the download label that part produced this comp, and yeah I'll be honest not everything on that label is my cup of tea but I can say without any doubt what these people do is borne out a genuine love of all kinds of folk music not just some passing trend
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 21:45
I think you're right on it. Adding 'Dark' to the whole business is a calculated move meant to attract a new customer.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2007, 23:05
Nov 11, 2007, 22:50
singingringingtree wrote:

i dug out a good folk record a few days ago = 1st dick gaughan Lp ... really ballsy stuff, brooding + northern, but a million miles from this stuff.
ah, i blame that bastard dave tibet

Oh dear, finger in ear ala Ewan McColl time with Gaughin!
Bleeeuurgh!
I quite like Current 93, what they do doesn't go out to bastardise or sanitise anything, it's just a type of music you either like or don't (those earnest old gits really didn't invent 'folk' anyway, though they'll have you believe they did).
Some find it deeply irritating, fair enough, but see what Shirley and Dolly do for one, decades ago, which you'll probably know anyway. Steeped in tradition yet musically wiping the floor with those boring old farty earnest bores.
But the Cambridge folk festival generally instills dread too, so I am a bit wary of this one.
EDIT: But I note for one the marvellous Sharron Kraus appears, whose music, including an LP with the Espers ladies is rather good).
I understand the dangers of Sunday Supplement prescribed folk music, but not everything made today is.
Open yer mind to some of the wonders of our times (many great things do exist!);-))
I do love much of what has been too...

x
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 23:10
And then there's the United Bible Stories peoples and variants thereof based asround Deserted Village records (last time i checked their website was knackered but it may be fixed now).

But then i'm no purist - i like the collins sisters, but then i like kathryn tickell (partly because she sometimes sings and plays about the wilds that i grew up in) and i also enjoyed the knights of the occasional table 's 'john barleycorn 2000' album - "the reel thing" still has me flapping my flares *whenever* i hears it.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 12, 2007, 09:14
shanshee_allures wrote:

Oh dear, finger in ear ala Ewan McColl time with Gaughin!
Bleeeuurgh!

yeah, you may be right, i dunno ... it just hits me in a way not many of the 60s revivalists do.

shanshee_allures wrote:
but see what Shirley and Dolly do for one, decades ago, which you'll probably know anyway. Steeped in tradition yet musically wiping the floor with those boring old farty earnest bores.

i really like 'em when they sound more early music than folk (w/ bigger arrangements + all that) = "love, death + the lady" (now there's a "dark" record) etc

I'm as far from "purist" as you like - tell you who i think's an underrated "folk-rock" (ugh!) band = the pogues ... never heard anyone mention them when talking about that horribly-monikered genre

shanshee_allures wrote:
But I note for one the marvellous Sharron Kraus appears, whose music, including an LP with the Espers ladies is rather good).

never heard her, but saw espers play once - they almost destoyed my will to live! never seen such limpness in so many young people in one place. I stuck around to see the magnificent Rick Bishop play with them for their encore + they even flattened his ooomph. maybe it was aon off night?

shanshee_allures wrote:
Open yer mind to some of the wonders of our times (many great things do exist!);-)

yeah, it's a matter of taste i guess, but those things, for me, tend to be much more "of our times" - top of my head modern sounds i've recently been enjoying include John Wiese, MIA, Coki, Villalobos, black dice ... but richard youngs new CD too - where does he fit in to all this folk stuff?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 12, 2007, 11:43
What depresses me more than anything is when the term 'folk' is hiijacked by the likes of Seth Lakeman (? wtf IS THAT!), and even Kate Rusby (vindicated by Andy Kershaw none the less!), when you can tell they haven't got any feel for what they're doing at all. Or maybe they have, but alot of those Lal Waterson etc ballads (grrr!hate how that word's been hiijacked too!) just make my heart ache, and have the old 'dirt under the nails' in their own way, whereas all this stuff that just approximates emotion makes me sick to mah stomack!

Agree on Villalobos! Great stuff, been going through a few of the 12" releases.

And yes, The Pogues rarely get a mention in the folk debate, which might be to their advantage;-)

x
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Edited Nov 12, 2007, 11:58
Nov 12, 2007, 11:56
I got quite excited about the prospect of a Lal Waterson tribute album, but after hearing previews of some of the tracks below I'm not gonna bother, very dull IMHO, Vashti Bunyan's turn sounds particularly half-arsed

1. Fine Horseman - King Creosote
2. Cornfield - Elizabeth, Nancy
3. At First She Starts - Yorkston, James
4. Red Wine Promises - Williams, Victoria
5. So Strange Is Man - Blackwell, Lavinia & Alex Neilson
6. The Bird - Roberts, Alasdair
7. How Can I Leave - Hurley, Michael
8. Wilson's Arms - Danny & The Champions Of The World
9. Her White Gown - Greig, Charlotte
10. Stumbling On - Nichols, Jeb Loy
11. Never The Same - Crowley, Adrian
12. Memories - James, Richard