Unsung Forum »
Best records of the year so far?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: More new 2007 releases
Oct 31, 2007, 15:29
Gotta give a mention to Githead's Art Pop. Great toons, fab bassline and Colin Newman's voice over the top.

Fans of Wire Mk II should love it!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Re: Best records of the year so far?
Oct 31, 2007, 16:11
I'll have to go away and think about this one properly, but Capt. Chaos brought the new Ian Brown album 'The World Is Yours' along to our Club Calamity session a couple of nights back. I have to say it's pretty flippin' good.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Oct 31, 2007, 22:10
I think I've bought very little from this year this year. Can only really think of Thurston Moore and Dinosaur Jr's records.

Got loads of downloads, mostly not that recent but did get High On Fire and Dead Meadow. If Dead Meadow's new studio stuff is as good as the thekla bristol set I oughta check it out. Haven't got High On Fire's latest yet but I played Blessed Black Wings a fraction of the times that I
played Surrounded By Thieves. Did watch the Hair and Teeth video yesterday too.
Probably ought to get the new Richard Thompson since I've liked the live stuff I've heard.

Did get a couple of reissues put out this year like Space Ritual by Hawkwind. Pink floyd PATGOD.Several others I can't think of offhand.

Definitely not The Stooges weirdness, was semi listenable but not up to the 1st 2.
Stevo
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Nov 01, 2007, 14:45
Cor ! You lot must have
a lotta $ to spend on records !

Ive only heard a few new
releases this year , what i think
are quite good are :
Porcupine Tree : Fear Of A Blank Planet
Grant Lee Phillips : Strangelet
Acid Mothers Temple : Crystal Rainbow Pyramid CD/LP
Acid Mothers Temple : Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo

Also like the new Coral although i think
the songs are getting a wee bit samey

Major dissapointment the new SFA
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Nov 01, 2007, 14:53
Ok, updated list:

The best:
Dodheimsgard - Supervillain Outcast (album of the year winner)
Reverend Bizarre - III: So Long Suckers
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
Witchcraft - The Alchemist
When - Trippy Happy

Other good 'uns:
Darkthrone - F.O.A.D.
Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters
Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Om - Pilgrimage
Watain - Sworn To The Dark
Tangorodrim - Justus ex fidit etc.
Abigor - Fractal Possession
Furze - UTD

Dissapointments:
Blut aus Nord - MoRT

Still need to hear:
Electric Wizard (this will most likely join 'the best' section)
Orthodox
Doomsword
Candlemass

Hmm have the feeling I'm forgetting something..will let you know
coldrumhead
608 posts

Nov 01, 2007, 18:42
The Sandy Denny at the BBC boxset
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2007, 23:09
Nov 01, 2007, 19:53
Dog 3000 wrote:

Liars "Liars" -- after several listenings I have to say it's their least impressive so far. More "commercial", which is almost like a joke coming from them -- I can imagine maybe in the early 90's this could have gotten some mainstream buzz ("inspired by Jesus & Mary Chain"). A handful of great tracks plus about 50% filler. (Not "bad" though!)

Meat Puppets "Rise To Your Knees" -- one of my fave 80's bands back with 2/3 original members. Unfortunately, I'd have to rank this as one of their two or three worst records though. Hasn't grown on me at all. (Still gonna see them next week though!!! I bet they play mostly oldies.)

I know we talked online about the Liars disc a few months back - I was disappointed at first but over the last few weeks it's grown on me quite a bit. I don't think it's their least impressive - personally their debut would get that ranking from me, although I still like it (it's just a bit too derivative compared to the later stuff). I'd love it if they did a Velvet Underground on us and released a whole LP of tender ballads like "The Other Side Of Mt. Heart Attack" - now that really would be unpredictable!

Didn't even know the Meat Puppets were still going - and their second and third albums are two of my all-time favourites. I presume Cris Kirkwood is the missing original member, giving his heroin addiction?

I've also added Wooden Shjips' debut to my list - although I prefer the bonus CD with their first two vinyl EPs on it to the album itself. Parts of it sound just like Loop to me - it seems late 80s UK trance rock has crossed back over the Atlantic again!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 01, 2007, 20:00
Popel Vooje wrote:

Didn't even know the Meat Puppets were still going - and their second and third albums are two of my all-time favourites. I presume Kris Kirkwood is the missing original member, giving his heroin addiction?

No its a new drummer not new bassist. Seems the 2 brothers are reconciled.
Somebody's torrenting a load of early Mps on dime right now. I'm just listening to an '81 set.

Popel Vooje wrote:

I've also added Wooden Shjips' debut to my list - although I prefer the bonus CD with their first two vinyl EPs on it to the album itself. Parts of it sound just like Loop to me - it seems late 80s UK trance rock has crossed back over the Atlantic again!

Still got to get this.Does sound like something worth checking out.
Stevo
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Nov 02, 2007, 16:10
adding :

Bjork : Volta

Steve Roach : immersion 3
Brownie
25 posts

Nov 02, 2007, 17:11
there's nothing like a good list to get people posting in ....

mine are ..

New Model Army / High

3 Daft Monkeys / Gibbon It Live & Drekly

and of course JC's recent opus which I was really unsure of on first
few listenings and now think its wonderful
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index