Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?
Jul 06, 2013, 02:32
"Early Feotus records still get fairly regular spins. Strange, almost comedic mix of show tunes, surf music and industrial clatter with some great catchy lyrics. Sure it was massively informed by The Residents et al, but J G Thirwell seemed to make it a sound of his own."

Monganaut

Your contribution sparked a memory of something precious lost.

You sound like the man who can help me out with an obscure J G Thirlwell 7" single from his very early days. Many years ago I was was compelled to sell the best of my precious vinyl collection to pay off debts. A sad day, but, in truth, there weren't too many that I haven't been able to source again in one form or another. One of the real misses is a peculiarly twisted 7" single from Phillip And His Foetus Vibrations called "Tell Me. What Is The Bane Of Your Life" (http://www.discogs.com/Philip-And-His-Foetus-Vibrations-Tell-Me-What-Is-The-Bane-Of-Your-Life/release/109539) with the wonderfully weird and twisted B side "Mother, I've Killed The Cat". I miss that tune; any idea if this track ever turned up again in any form whatsoever; digital, CD or vinyl? I'd pay good money for that tune!

Charlie
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jul 06, 2013, 03:43
Eskimo would be my favorite also.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 06, 2013, 11:59
Sylvia Moore Jungle Magic very middle class accented folkie singer using African instruments on a folk lp covering both Northern English and African folk stuff on what appears to be a private press lp from the late 60s. I found it in the miscellaneous sectionof my local 2nd hand record shop and it got a reissue on cassette somewhere around 10 years ago but I don't think it's very well known. I love Your meaning IS Clear anyway, sounds like something people should cover.

Y-Voag the Way out
kicking myself for missing the cd reissue 10 years back or whenever it was cos I'd love to have a copy of this and my vinyl di9sappeareda long time ago.
Related to The Homosexuals of post-punk fame who I think were themselves related to Cold Storage of This Heat fame. Weird semi-avant lp.

Family Fodder who seem to have had a somewhat schizoid group mentality judging by the resulting sounds. I think the main track I fell for was Playing Golf which has a morbid obsession with being dead.

The Shaggs have probably been mention umpteen times in this thread already but I always meant to put a band together especially to do a cover of My pal foot foot.

Stevo
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jul 06, 2013, 22:49
TBH, I'm not sure it's appeared on anything other than the 7" (Mind you, Discogs has it for a mere £8.00 + P+P Fairly cheap for a great collectable).

Sadly those early Foetus singles are harder to find than golden goose eggs, and generally cost twice as much.

I was in a similar situation to yourself many years ago and let far to many amazing singles and albums go for a song. Only got a few bits and bobs of Foetus myself, the usual stuff, Hole, Nail, Thaw, and a few 12" singles, Bedrock, F.A.T. and I few others I Can't recall off the top of my head.
I was hoping that he would do an Einsturzende Neubauten thing like the Strategies series and release a whole load of hard to find gems, but so far Sink is the only thing I'm aware of, which seems to be those early-ish to mid period Bedrock, Ramrod, Wash, Slog, Calamity Crunch EP's etc.. collected together. Still, Diabolus In Musica is still a prime piece of ass, Foetus style of course.

Have a search on a few blogs, sure someone has posted it out there (Glowing Raw blog might be a good start, not looked yet, so don't know).

Happy hunting!
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Jul 06, 2013, 23:38
I was hoping (but not expecting) for some nice anthologies of the early Thirlwell tracks to have been released by some obscure label. It appears that I'll have to buy the 7", which is fine but for the fact that I no longer possess a turntable. Thanks for the copius info about the Foetus projects; it reinforces why I turned up At Head Heritage - serious musos present!

I followed up today on your recommendation of the Nurse With Wound album "Spiral Insana" - fortunately, my mate has a copy that I've now burned - what a fabulous record. I know that Steven Stapleton is majorly into the cosmische German outfits (I'm not a fan of the term 'krautrock') but this record goes... beyond. It's like a film soundtrack in the way it's themed and goes back and forth. Excellent; thank you for the recommendation. I've no doubt that you'll be aware of the Berberian Sound Studio soundtrack which bears similar themic ideas, but you may also like Lard Free (especially Spirale Malax); recommended here in the den.....and....of course...for the truly adventurous the "Read Only Memory" EP by Chrome.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 07, 2013, 00:40
Take a look on Pirate Bay, there is a set called singles 82-84 and it's the first single on there. Just needs you to have a torrent set-up and you can grab it from there alongside other things he cut around the same time.

Funny, not sure why but every time I tried to compile that track to audio tape my tape broke shortly after. Wondered if there were frequencies in the recording taht were detrimental to the medium or if it was just coincidence but seemed to happen every time.

Stevo
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Jul 07, 2013, 01:49
Stevo

I have been scrutinising your message and just realised that what you're telling me is where I can get "Mother, I Killed The Cat". Superb news. I don't go normally anywhere near Pirate Bay as a general rule (too many nasty bits of malware on there), but I'll have to make an exception now.
A top piece of information that is.

Cheers

Charlie
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jul 07, 2013, 10:32
Spiral Insana was my intro to NWW, must have been 17 or 18, still my fave Stapleton release if I'm honest. Accompanied many trips and experiences, I find it a very calming record, despite it' occasional dissonant moments.

Was unaware of his Kosmische interests as a youth (or indeed the term Kosmische at all) coming at him as a sometime Coil collaborator. As a slight aside, other interesting NWW discs for me would include, 'Who Can I Turn To Stereo', Cooloorta Moon, Rock and Roll Station, Second Pirate Session, Shipwreck Radio, and a lovely meditative piece in Soliloquy For Lilith.

Weirdly, I've kinda ignored most of his output since about 2005/6. When Coil ceased to exist, I seemed to loose interest in much of that 'experimental' output when Balance died. Must try and remedy that, I'm sure he's put out some interesting stuff.

Yeah, Berbarian is a great OST (Film is quite interesting as well). The vinyl is a lovely thing to look at and hold).

You've probably heard the last Broadcast album before Berbarian 'Witch Trials Of The Radio Age'. Explores similar themes and soundscapes. It's unlike much of their output in being almost dreamlike in it construction. Sub nursery rhymes and snippets of ideas. It's holds together pretty well, but has an overall unsettling, almost fragmented feeling to it.

RE: Chrome, all I've got is Chrome Box, which is mostly marvelous, but probably has some gaps in it. Cheers for the heads up RE:ROM. Will check out your recommendation, if I can find a DL of it.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Jul 07, 2013, 12:34
Monganaut wrote:
Spiral Insana was my intro to NWW, must have been 17 or 18, still my fave Stapleton release if I'm honest. Accompanied many trips and experiences, I find it a very calming record, despite it' occasional dissonant moments.

Was unaware of his Kosmische interests as a youth (or indeed the term Kosmische at all) coming at him as a sometime Coil collaborator. As a slight aside, other interesting NWW discs for me would include, 'Who Can I Turn To Stereo', Cooloorta Moon, Rock and Roll Station, Second Pirate Session, Shipwreck Radio, and a lovely meditative piece in Soliloquy For Lilith.

Weirdly, I've kinda ignored most of his output since about 2005/6. When Coil ceased to exist, I seemed to loose interest in much of that 'experimental' output when Balance died. Must try and remedy that, I'm sure he's put out some interesting stuff.

Yeah, Berbarian is a great OST (Film is quite interesting as well). The vinyl is a lovely thing to look at and hold).

You've probably heard the last Broadcast album before Berbarian 'Witch Trials Of The Radio Age'. Explores similar themes and soundscapes. It's unlike much of their output in being almost dreamlike in it construction. Sub nursery rhymes and snippets of ideas. It's holds together pretty well, but has an overall unsettling, almost fragmented feeling to it.

RE: Chrome, all I've got is Chrome Box, which is mostly marvelous, but probably has some gaps in it. Cheers for the heads up RE:ROM. Will check out your recommendation, if I can find a DL of it.

I'll try and keep this relatively short; many points to cover!

Stephen Stapleton was the driving force behind the release of "Ultrasonic Seraphim" on United Durto, an anthology of music from the first two albums by Sand, who remain one of the more obscure Deutsch Kosmiche bands.

http://www.discogs.com/Sand-Ultrasonic-Seraphim/release/506211

I will certainly be checking out the other NWW releases that you have recommended. Fortunately I have a mate who is well into all the Coil/Current 93/NWW/Pyschic TV releases and I'll start there.

Broadcast and The Focus Group... Investigate Witch Cults of The Radio Age -recommended here in the den; wilder, more experimental and psychedelic than the Berberian soundtrack. The best Broadcast recording of those I've heard thus far.

And, finally, to the notorious "Read Only Memory" EP by Chrome. The good news is that you already have a 'version' of the EP, but what you've got is dependant upon what version of the Chrome Box you possess. Thus, if you have the Cleopatra CD issue "Chrome Box", you will find an 'extract' from ROM clocking in at 8 mins.

http://www.discogs.com/Chrome-Chrome-Box/release/373220

This extract suffers from truncation. ROM is an immersive experience and should be swallowed whole for maximum effect. Conversely, the original vinyl edition "Box" contains ROM in it's entirety (about 21 mins on the original vinyl EP) on Side H.

http://www.discogs.com/Chrome-Box/release/1066469

So far so good. Now we get into the general strangeness that was the world of Chrome during their golden years - because the ROM EP, originally a 12", was fully reissued on the "No Humans Allowed" album release on vinyl

http://www.discogs.com/Chrome-No-Humans-Allowed/release/1059338

.....but the CD version of No Humans allowed features a version of ROM that clocks in at 42 mins!!!!!

http://www.discogs.com/Chrome-No-Humans-Allowed/release/102288

The extended version is the real McCoy. I have absolutely no idea how there came to be a remixed and expanded version of ROM; it's yet another piece of Chrome folklore where the truth has yet to come out.

I thought fleetingly of comparing and contrasting the 21 and 42 min versions of ROM for completeness, but that has serious potential for cerebral overload. When I was considerably younger, I had a reputation for 'inflicting' challenging musics onto friends when they were suitably vulnerable - things like "An Electric Storm" (White Noise), "Heresie" (Univers Zero) and "Gorilla" (Bonzo Dog Doo/Dah Band); you get the idea. ROM featured prominantly at such times, especially the 'Big Dipper' tune, and the casualties were many.

As for a download version of ROM, I'm not aware of one. My internet connection lacks stability, so I'm not aware what's out there these days on torrent sites.

Cheers

Charlie
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Jul 08, 2013, 11:25
Wow, that's a pretty complete review of the various ROM versions. Will have to search it out now won't I. Sadly only got the CD version of Chrome Box, so seem to have a much truncated version.

Have you heard of A.R.E. Weapons? Whenever I hear them they always remind me of Chrome(lite) with a touch of Suicide and a hint of Electric Eels, albeit put through a huge skuzz pop mincer. You may enjoy some of their output.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index