BabyBird

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

BabyBird
Aug 30, 2006, 10:16
on Mark Radcliffe last night. I’d forgotten what a good singer he was. Remember him about 10 years ago at the Astoria with Tindersticks - He had a music stand with hundreds of songs on that he picked out at will, electronics at his fingertips and a voice that put me in mind of a young Peter Gabriel. Good luck to him.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: BabyBird
Aug 30, 2006, 10:26
Saw him at Glastonbury in 1998. Just got pissed off with Bob Dylan and went for a wander.

He was ace. Great singer, versatile, and under-rated imho.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 11:26
i had that 'ugly beautiful' cd in my collection since its release, unplayed until about march this year when I put it on my ipod. Its bloody excellent, the ranting title track is in my all time top ten! What else have they done and what do you all recommend. Wish I'd listened earlier.....but then its nice when something like that surprises you!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2006, 11:41
Aug 30, 2006, 11:40
micmacmoc wrote:
What else have they done.....

Run away!!!! :-)

The bloke's probably more prolific than Zappa. I keep thinking I should check him out more and then get daunted. I do believe we have a few aficionados round these parts, though...
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 12:01
...oh dear mrs.mocs mauretorium on cd spending could fall away then!
so best ask what should I prioritise!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2006, 12:13
Aug 30, 2006, 12:13
There's a 6 Cd box set of his lo-fi stuff. I seem to remember there being a singles boxed set released just before You're gorgeous, too.

BTW, I think moey's yer man on this one.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 12:23
I remember a song that went 'Marry me Valerie'. Marvellous. Off 'Bad Shave' perhaps?

x
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 12:57
he's touring in autumn... don't have dates to hand but he's deffo coming to brum... that cd box is a good way in, but there's a lot of it... cheap tho' considering the original albums were changing hands for silly money at one point... he's the badly drawn boy for bitter people....
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 13:36
Hmmm ... I was listening to selected bits of 'There's Something Going On' this very morning while I was getting ready for work ... would also recommend 'Bugged' very highly (esp 'Fireflies') ... but 'Ugly Beautiful is a complete pile of kak ... he does have an impressive vocal range, but the songs can be a bit patchy in places!
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 15:34
well i LIKE ugly beautiful! though if thats the worse end then I'm in for a treat eh?
will follow your advice
hey I've got micmacmoc on in the shop and the missus has'nt told me off yet, wow!
whats she after?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index