Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: BabyBird
Aug 30, 2006, 18:43
Valve wrote:

on Mark Radcliffe last night. I’d forgotten what a good singer he was. Remember him about 10 years ago at the Astoria with Tindersticks - He had a music stand with hundreds of songs on that he picked out at will, electronics at his fingertips and a voice that put me in mind of a young Peter Gabriel. Good luck to him.

10 years ago at the Astoria with the Tindersticks - Moey and me were at that one - great gig - got turfed out of the after gig party by the bouncers!!!!!!!!!!
merlin2
118 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 21:55
Yes I still rate " theres something going on " as a classic
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 22:58
I'll give it another go ... possibly it's just 'You're Gorgeous' that overshadows the whole thing a bit too much for me ... there's a box-set of the first 5 albums still doing the rounds ...
moey
moey
770 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 00:55
anthonyqkiernan wrote:

BTW, I think moey's yer man on this one.

(Takes a bow)

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

hehheh

Mr Jones. A definite case of 'Massive Pop Hit' + 'Shit attitude' = 'career suicide'

He's a clever bloke, and if he had played the game a bit, he could have had a great career. To begin with the crowd heckling at gigs was great fun, but obviously you can only do that for so long before the nasty element kicks in and you get hurt.

Anyway, I digress. The music.

The Original Lo-Fi is deffo an essential puschase. It includes the original five Lo-Fi solo albums - each of which contain some sparkling gems. You also get The Black Album, which is supposed to tie up the loose ends of that period, but I think sneakily contains a few newer tracks. 6 CDs for less than £25? It's a done deal in my book.

Ugly Beautiful was the first 'Full band' album containing mostly 'full band' versions of tracks from the original lofi albums - some are an improvement, some, maybe not.

There's Something Going On followed. New songs, pretty good.

Bugged is pretty under-rated. Features the F Word, now used by Gordon F*cking Ramsay for his TV prog. Fireflies is my fave off this album

After that, they kind of dissolved in a mess of apathy. SJ has done some writing (The Bad Book & Harry & Ida Swap teeth) and some solo stuff.

Solo stuff - 1985-2000 and Plastic Tablets
These are two dinky little packages, each containing 4 x 3"cds They are really adverts for his instrumental work in the hope of being picked up for soundtrack work - the tracks are all pretty short. Mail order only for Plastic Tablets - and service is s o s l o w.

Almost cured of Sadness -a solo 'songs' album, all sung in his falsetto voice. Not the best IMHO

He has also done a bit of soundtrack work, but nothing released AFAIK.

Live the band were highly entertaining, the dates on this tour are most likely with a new band. The new album was recorded with Luke Scott & Rob Gregory, but it doesn't look like they are going out on tour with him.

There is another radio session on Gideon Coe's show on 6 Music on Monday 11th Sept.

Tour dates are here: http://www.myspace.com/officialbabybird there's also two tracks from the new album there too.

Website here: http://www.babybird.co.uk

moey
moey
moey
770 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 00:57
Flat as a pancake in places IMHO.

Good to hear him on Radcliffe again though. They did some classic sessions on his old Radio 1 show.

If anyone is interested, I can probably sort you out with those session tracks.

.....to the usual address

moey
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 07:14
did that cool "unreleased" stuff ever get released? ;)
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 09:59
Excellent. Think how many times people on here's paths must have crossed over the years. I loved the Astoria, I was usually quite pissed. There was a great gig by the Gun Club there 87'ish...
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 12:10
thanks moey, you star!
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Aug 31, 2006, 12:14
yeah! you're gorgeous was the reasomn I did'nt play it for so long....the ugly beautiful track is wonderful, all that grumbling about the music trade and jamiroquoi does it for me!
moey
moey
770 posts

Sep 02, 2006, 13:47
Received a copy of the upcoming album yesterday. Very good indeed.

Well worth looking out.

moey
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index