52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04
Jul 28, 2004, 13:05
TIM BOOTH – down to the sea (single)

THE CUCUMBERS – All Things To You

HAWKWIND – Silver Machine (to think this was a hit. Doubt it would trouble the charts now – sadly!)

HOX – It-ness (Graham Lewis side project from a few yrs back. One of my fave Wire solo albums)

MORRISSEY – You Are The Quarry (esp the singles – I reckon Irish Blood is almost Brechtian, whilst First of The Gang is quite possibly the poppiest thing he’s ever done – in a Leader of the Pack morbid kind of way! And I Have Forgiven Jesus might just be his best vocal performance since I Know It’s Over)

SHAPESHIFTERS – lola’s theme (it’s number one, pop pickers!!)

23 SKIDOO – s/t (OK it's not Seven Songs - I *loved* that album. This album came out in 2000, and bizarrely I recall reading an interview with 23 Skidoo around that time, saying they'd never split up (a bit like Wire in the 80's IIRC). It must have been YEARS since their last album! As for 23 Skidoo, I only picked it up a month or so ago, so it's early days, but on initial plays I thought it a bit of a mixed bag. I knew a couple of tracks before I got it - the excellent opening track Freeze Frame was on a free cd and Dawning was a single that I liked a lot. There's some other good stuff - I like Dirty Lo, Meltdown has a nice Transglobal Underground feel to it and Atmosfear has a great bassline, though admittedly it's not in the class of Coup (but then what is?). But there's also times when sound like they want to be Massive Attack rather than 23 Skidoo, and others when it gets too close to the dreaded four letter word that is jazz for my liking. But then I don't think Dawning exactly blew me away at first and now I love it's lazy, lazy feel so I'll stick with it. And yeah, I *know* that one's pretty jazzy itself, but in a good way ; ) Still, I've played it a few times the last few days, and have to say that it's sounding better on each listen.)

BRIAN WILSON – Gettin’ In Over My Head (OK it’s not Pet Sounds, and Eric Clapton’s on it, but it has it’s good points, too!)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index