Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04

52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04
Jul 26, 2004, 20:11
Been on holiday in Tuscany this week so gave not been listening to as much as usual, but did take these away with me -

Silver Apples - Garden
Much patchier than their first two but worth having for the finished tracks, which are as endearingly, barmily innovative and melodic as usual. The unfinished instrumentals are mere unfocused noodling of the type that anyone with access to Cubase could make these days.

Astrud Gilberto - Jazz Masters Vol.9
Very suitable for hot climes with it supremely languid, blissed out feel. Gorgeous melodies to boot.

King Dice - King Dice compilation
Especially "Southern Water & Electricity Company". Sounded great whilst stting wrecked on a balcony at 3am. Nice one, LL.

Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava
Similar to a much lower budget version of Tim Buckley's "Goodbye And Hello" but with odd musique concrete-style tape effects littered throughout the tracks. Excellent cover of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" .

Parliament - Get Funked Up (The Utimate Collection)
Excellent introduction to the lighter, albeit still highly eccentric side of George Clinton's muse.
Probably not complete enough to be definitive, but I always marginally preferred Funkadelic anyway so this is a neat distillation of their output for me.

Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
Still playing this one from last week. Tis an insidious grower which impacts subtly and highly effectively despite having more in common with The House Of Love and early Bunnymen than the Krautrock comparisons put forward by some reviewers.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index