Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2010, 16:31
Re: NEW FEATURE: Advice to Demonstrators After the Trashing of Millbank
Nov 19, 2010, 16:31
IanB wrote:
I have little in common with Merrick in terms of what he sees as the range of means that are acceptable in achieving his aims and those of his fellow travellers.

That said I often post my first drafts on HH boards and then edit and add to them even though they are live posts.

Mainly for typos but sometimes for sense and expanding a thought. Maybe he does some of that too.

In those circs I never mark them as an "edit". Which I probably should.

That said editing someone else's post in quote (rather than excerpting it) is v naughty if that is what he has done.

I don't know what Merrick is alleged to have done here, though knowing him as well as I do, I'm confident there was no malicious intent or attempts to dishonestly portray someone else's views.

Like IanB, I often make minor edits after a post has gone live. Mostly it's to correct spelling / grammar. Occasionally I'll rephrase something that I find clumsy upon subsequent reading, though never to alter the meaning of what I said -- merely to try and clarify it.

Once in a blue moon I'll add to / edit the substance of what I said, in which case I'll always mark it as an edit.

Regarding the quotation of the post I'm replying to, I always try to quote either the full post (where practical) or else a lengthy extract (even though this, weirdly, sometimes comes under fire). I do this so as to retain the context of the original... i.e. in an attempt to be fair. I find the tendency of others to mischaracterise / take statements out of context very frustrating.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index