I'm sorry

Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Penske666
161 posts

I'm sorry
May 11, 2009, 10:56
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8043447.stm

Really - you think that's good enough!!!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: I'm sorry
May 11, 2009, 11:19
These are the same people that vote for benefit cuts for single parents, and I'm really glad to see the fuckers squirm.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 11, 2009, 15:03
"Gordon Brown has said "mistakes" were made by MPs in their use of House of Commons expenses."

I love that. 'Mistakes'. It's the word Nasty Nick used when he was caught cheating on Big Brother.

It's used in the knowledge that it has several meanings. The connotation of errors of judgement and lapses of morality allows them to say they've apologised, but the connotation of accident allows them to appear as if they didn't do their corrupt deeds deliberately.

Still scumpigs, even as they're exposed.

Anyone else notice how the Tories didn't lay in to Brown and co over this? They knew their headline was coming.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/

£2145 to fix a pipe under millionaire banker Oliver Letwin's tennis court.

That's the same Oliver Letwin who is devising the plans for Tory spending cuts when they come to power
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/conservative/3464348/Oliver-Letwin-drafted-in-to-rescue-George-Osborne.html
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited May 11, 2009, 20:18
May 11, 2009, 16:57
Merrick wrote:
£2145 to fix a pipe under millionaire banker Oliver Letwin's tennis court.

That's the same Oliver Letwin who is devising the plans for Tory spending cuts when they come to power
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/conservative/3464348/Oliver-Letwin-drafted-in-to-rescue-George-Osborne.html

I'm assuming that -- at the very least -- there was actually a tennis court, a pipe, and a repair bill.

Jack Straw, on the other hand, "... claimed for council tax he had never paid, luckily discovering his mistake and repaying the £1,500 only after the High Court ruled that all expenses claims had to be published." (source)

Fucking sickening, isn't it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and one other thing... why the hell are MPs allowed to claim their taxes back on expenses? That's screwed up way beyond normal political pocket-lining.
head-first
head-first
214 posts

May 12, 2009, 15:07
From the BBC news website:

Peterborough MP Stewart Jackson has confirmed the Telegraph's report that he had made a claim of £304.10 for the upkeep of a swimming pool.

But he added: "The pool came with the house and I needed to know how to run it. Once I was shown that one time, there were no more claims. I take care of the pool myself. I believe this represents 'value for money' for the taxpayer."

I'm sure we're all very grateful to Mr Jackson for having our best interests at heart, and giving us such value for money.

Now, where's my guillotine?
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

May 12, 2009, 16:03
head-first wrote:

Now, where's my guillotine?

Surely now is the time for revolution like never before!
head-first
head-first
214 posts

May 12, 2009, 17:42
Cameron says he's 'appalled', and will demand that MPs repay their expense claims. He's kindly returning the £660 claimed for repairs to his house, including the removal of weeds from his chimney.

How appalled would he be if this hadn't been made public?

Incidently, the Conservative website talks about handing over the welfare to work programme to private companies, and imposing 'tough sanctions' on those who refuse to undertake workshops or long-term community projects.

http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Where_we_stand/Welfare_and_Pensions.aspx

God forbid the feckless general public should receive money they don't deserve.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited May 12, 2009, 18:37
May 12, 2009, 17:46
It was so obvious that, given the recent revelations in the news over the last year or so really kicking off with that Tory that was paying his twatbox of a son 'expenses' for 'Admin' serivices whilst said son was at Uni getting trollyed, and then Jaqui Smith's hubby having a tug on 'expenses' that this was just the creaking lid of a colossal can of worms being opened.

I have to admit, as appalling as it actually is, I couldn't help but smile 'cos, with the Labour expenses revelations of last week coming out, everybody must've been thinking "Why aren't the Tories steaming into Labour over this? They could really go to town..." and of course it's because they were staying relatively schtum cos they were cacking themselves 'cos they knew they were next. You can just imagine a Tory MP, looking at his shiny clean swimming pool, knowing where the cleaning bill went, and going "Oh Shit. This isn't gonna look good". The gem was one of 'em claming for repairs on his moat! A FUCKING MOAT! How feudal do you wanna get?!!

There is a slight schadenfreudey element of fiddling whilst Rome burns about all this but that doesn't stop it being abysmal and despicable. I mean, there's no doubt that there's some of these characters have probably referred to people on benefits as "scroungers" or worse at some point.

The sad thing about this is that I think it's horribly damaging to those few - and I hope there ARE some out there - folk that go into politics for all the 'right' reasons. I'd hate to see some struggling indepentent soul fighting a cause tarred with the same brush as the scumsuckers that are involved with this mess.

EDIT. Ps. is it me or are the papers and telly really, really enjoying reporting this?
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited May 12, 2009, 21:16
May 12, 2009, 21:15
Therein lies the problem. Fecklessness.

I propose that we stop giving money to the unemployed, and give them a certain number of fecks each fortnight.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited May 13, 2009, 13:12
May 13, 2009, 13:00
I'm confused as to why they have to 'own' a second home anyway, that allows you the chance to make money out of it.
Surely it'd be a bit fairer if these were theirs for the duration of yer employment, a bit like a company car, the state being 'the company' you work for.
FWIW Cameron is being so transparently desparate in all this.
He always goes on about Brown not knowing what his party are up to yet seems to think it's okay to say he had no idea about his lot either.
Lying c*nt.
But the main point is always some bubble's burst, sort of.
x
Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index