Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2008, 00:24
Re: Stupid old fart
Feb 09, 2008, 00:20
dodge one wrote:
I'm sure i'm generalising {Or just gettin' to the point?}, but during my travels throughout the world i have allways repected the laws of the lands that i have trodden. It's not hard to be a good citizin of the world.

Well, I admit that I've not. I smoke pot, and in the past have taken any number of "controlled" substances. "Bad laws beget bad people" as the old saying goes, and should be resisted for precisely that reason.

As I say, though, I'm genuinely not advocating the introduction of Sharia law in the UK (or anywhere else). I'm just offended by the blatant injustice of allowing one community a right that is denied to another. And the way this debate is being spun in the media is little short of outrageous.

With the exception of Rowan Williams' speech, who here (honestly) knew about the London Beth Din? I know I did, but that's only because I lived in Golders Green for two years. I wouldn't have otherwise. So given the fact that you can't pick up a paper at the moment without reading the word "Sharia" and how it's an outrage, and yet the words "Beth Din" never seem to appear, what does that tell you about the media and society in general?

EDIT: And what was wrong with Rowan Williams highlighting this injustice? His actual point was that if the UK can tolerate Jewish courts that operate within national laws, then it needs to tolerate Muslim courts that do the same. It's a simple, and not very controversial, point and I'm dismayed, though not surprised, that the media have acted so unpleasantly.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index