Re: the power of nightmares
Nov 05, 2004, 00:58
I heard Ashcroft is leaving Earth..
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Old Time Relijun
Nov 05, 2004, 01:50
I think it is true that a larger percentage of americans are "religious" compared to Europeans -- I'm positive there's numbers that back this up. Measured in terms of how often people go to church (mosque, temple, etc.) and also there are a huge number of "born again" protestants here, who are more fervent than "old school" protestants.

But at the same time, tsk tsk on those who demonize those born agains as robotic morons et al -- Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter were both "born again." And about 20% of bornagains voted for Kerry this election -- that's 10 million people right there.

And PS -- don't you mean SIR Lord Baltimore? ;-)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Four more years?
Nov 05, 2004, 01:53
Hate who?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Kerry's fault? - pt2
Nov 05, 2004, 07:25
The key to winning a bigger majority is never to turn the other side - it's all about mobilising new voters.

>> last time there were around three and a half million radical christians

It was no 'happy accident' that the Ohio election also had a ballot on gay marriages on the paper.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Something you want to tell us?
Nov 05, 2004, 07:28
>> Shit in Boston people looked at what was going on in Salem and said hells bells we have got
>> to stop this shit. And eventually <b>i</b> did stop.

How old are you? :-)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

New voters & a little perspective
Nov 05, 2004, 08:17
Nope, mobilising new voters won't work when the population is steadily aging. There aren't enough new voters coming of age to tip the balance if you lose the "mature vote."

This is going to be a growing trend throughout the "developed" world, including Europe especially.

For the simple reason that people in the West are living longer and having fewer babies . . .

Unless of course you're referring to the immigrant vote -- which is a whole 'nuther political schizm waiting to happen (native vote vs. furriner vote!), one that again seems to be a much bigger issue in Europe.

We're really good at integrating immigrants over here, and getting along generally. I mean for all the gnashing and wailing about "divisions in the country" check out this news report about a five day long "race conflict" in China and feel OK that this sort of thing hasn't happened in the US in more than a century . . . but sadly it's still pretty common throughout most of the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3982537.stm
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: New voters & a little perspective
Nov 05, 2004, 08:26
I didn't say it was a long term strategy :-)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

more ...
Nov 05, 2004, 08:27
More people voted this time around in the USA election.

It was not a case that the same people voted this time but changed their vote. MORE people voted, so therefore new voters were encouraged to vote this time.

Quite simple really.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Nov 05, 2004, 10:43
It's the rapture!
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Nov 05, 2004, 11:13
Does he hate the modern day post-punk band so much that he is going to leave the planet?

If he does want to leave the earth then strap him to a space rocket and aim it at the moon.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index