Megalithic Art

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: Megalithic Art
Mar 30, 2003, 22:06
There is a debate in the Rock art world around whether or not British abstract art predates passage grave art.
Therefore if this was the case, abstract art could be your link to the cave art of the paleaolithic.
Of course different cultures develop different forms of expression of their beliefs.
Our ancestors seemed to have gone down the road of abstract symbols, but then I am applying a modern view point to something I haven't a hope of fully understanding. I see British prehistoric rock art as a lost language which I don't think we will ever truely recover.
As for sculptured artifacts, they are extremely rare ( I won't say none existant because I don't know that as a fact) but my personal theory is that everything that these people wanted to express about their beliefs was done through altering the landscape using earth, stone and wood with the circle as the key to everything.
Today I was fortunate enough to visit a reconstructed henge monument (Maelmin in Northumbria), we were shown around the henge by the archaeologist, Clive Waddington, who had built it based upon a nearby excavated henge. One thing that struck me was the carving of the timber posts to resemble totems, there was no evidence that this had been done on the original but it definitely 'felt right'.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index