Stonehenge

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stonehenge
Feb 23, 2021, 07:55
"Antipathy" is putting it mildly June!

"So it is quite extraordinary that Parker Pearson, with the full support of his geologists Rob Ixer and Richard Bevins, has not even bothered to check whether the one standing stone and three recumbent stones at Waun Mawn are made of local unspotted dolerite. That should have been his first, and most obvious, line of investigation. Instead, he has ignored the local geology altogether and has suggested that the stones have come from Cerrigmarchogion, about 4 km away!

What on earth are these people playing at?"

https://brian-mountainman.blogspot.com/2021/02/the-geology-of-waun-mawn.html
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Feb 23, 2021, 10:00
Feb 23, 2021, 09:56
TV show was OK. I liked MPP talk from last year. Straight to camera. Less showbiz. Weather was better too :-)

https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=78201&message=969480&offset=25
moss
moss
2897 posts

Feb 23, 2021, 13:19
There is so much to take in, from all these videos but I did notice that he mentioned the Stonehenge Bluestone circle down by the river, found earlier. I have no problem with MPP's personality, he comes over as sincere and exploring a possible theory.

The problem I think with the Presceli hills and all its archaeological sites is that they are very much under explored. Trying to fix magical powers to flying stones as Geoffrey of Monmouth did is perhaps not the right story to hinge archaeological excavations on. You have only to read 'Prehistoric Preseli' by Figgis to understand that there are many sites there, including stone circles, disappeared or otherwise.

A note from Figgis's book........

An 18th C record notes 'near Kily-Maen-Llwyd on a great mountain a circle of mighty stones very much like Stonehenge in Wilshire, or rather like the Rollrych Stones in Oxfordshire' The whereabouts of this demolished circle is unknown. Cillmaenllwyd parish includes Glandy Cross, but no 'great' mountain.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Feb 23, 2021, 14:37
moss wrote:
There is so much to take in, from all these videos but I did notice that he mentioned the Stonehenge Bluestone circle down by the river, found earlier. I have no problem with MPP's personality, he comes over as sincere and exploring a possible theory.

The problem I think with the Presceli hills and all its archaeological sites is that they are very much under explored. Trying to fix magical powers to flying stones as Geoffrey of Monmouth did is perhaps not the right story to hinge archaeological excavations on. You have only to read 'Prehistoric Preseli' by Figgis to understand that there are many sites there, including stone circles, disappeared or otherwise.

A note from Figgis's book........

An 18th C record notes 'near Kily-Maen-Llwyd on a great mountain a circle of mighty stones very much like Stonehenge in Wilshire, or rather like the Rollrych Stones in Oxfordshire' The whereabouts of this demolished circle is unknown. Cillmaenllwyd parish includes Glandy Cross, but no 'great' mountain.

True. Meini Gwyr's always intrigued me.... With Gors Fawr not far off, who's to say other 'circles, now lost, didn't once exist?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 24, 2021, 12:00
This must be some sort of a record even for Stonehenge - yet another theory!!
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1401630/stonehenge-neolithic-farmers-wales-salisbury-wiltshire-bbc-archaeology-news-spt
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index