Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: John Michell lecture
Jun 30, 2016, 13:40
tiompan wrote:
cerrig wrote:
Here you go George. Have a stab at this for May 17th 2016.

51.82751N -3.O222W

I will post the correct answer either tomorrow or next week.

You seem to have forgotten the content of the challenge i.e. "What I will gladly do for you ,is take a bet ,you suggest a site and I will tell you where the sun will rise or set as seen from the site or the alt ,to the same tolerance as is usually expected from astro calc. A referee can hold the £100 and check the test ."

Note "I will tell you where the sun will set or rise " not you tell me where to look . I may decide to look at May 17 or not .
Further ,there is still no mention of a referee .How can they confirm what happened a few weeks ago by tomorrow or next week or receive cheques by that time ?

Is that really your “garden “ ?
Or did you just look for a local high building ?

You are obviously not serious ,and it's a pathetic attempt at humour .
If the co-ordinates are correct , then the building blocks any view of the sun rise on May 17 . You would find yourself staring at that wall for a long time . Got to the back of the “ garden “ and you will catch a glimpse of the sun but that is a different set of co-ordinates .

Of course the building wasn’t always there and that is what matters for archaeoastronomy ,it is possible to find out where the sun would have risen from the co-ordinates but a theodolite wouldn’t be much use .

Come back when you are serious and face the challenge .
cerrig
187 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 18:13
Is this too difficult for you George ?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 18:51
I know you can't answer questions .

But can't you read ?

You've been told .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 19:23
Cerrig, have you really given him a location with a big high wall? If so this is such a piss take, do you not understand there are people here simply wanting to know which method works and you seem to be just playing around.

And what about this?
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=74760&message=937918
cerrig
187 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 19:34
If you can't do this George just say so, or do I have to remind you of your own words?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 19:37
Did you read my posts ?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 19:41
nigelswift wrote:
Cerrig, have you really given him a location with a big high wall? If so this is such a piss take, do you not understand there are people here simply wanting to know which method works and you seem to be just playing around.

And what about this?
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=74760&message=937918

Not only is it a big high wall ,which is not a problem for calculating where the sun would have risen pre-wall , but the I have already told him what would happen on that date when standing staring at it .
Then of course there is the evasion about referees etc.
cerrig
187 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 19:57
You should read your own posts, specifically the challenge you issued. They are your words.
Maybe you could get up a petition to change them?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 01, 2016, 23:19
cerrig wrote:
You should read your own posts, specifically the challenge you issued. They are your words.
Maybe you could get up a petition to change them?

Not only are you incapable of responding to problems
You only read the posts but you don’t understand them .

What don’t you get about ?
"What I will gladly do for you ,is take a bet ,you suggest a site and I will tell you where the sun will rise or set as seen from the site or the alt ,to the same tolerance as is usually expected from astro calc. A referee can hold the £100 and check the test ."

I do the work not you tell me what to do .
What don't you understand about "Further ,there is still no mention of a referee .How can they confirm what happened a few weeks ago by tomorrow or next week or receive cheques by that time ? "

What don't you understand about about "Is that really your “garden “ ?
Or did you just look for a local high building ?

You are obviously not serious ,and it's a pathetic attempt at humour .
If the co-ordinates are correct , then the building blocks any view of the sun rise on May 17 . You would find yourself staring at that wall for a long time . "

Note , you have been told for free , that like you , the "alignment" is a pathetic attempt at a joke " .
cerrig
187 posts

Jul 02, 2016, 11:45
Dear me George, you do take yourself, and this nonsense, seriously, but I do believe that actually the joke is on you. The proof of a sunrise "As seen from the site" is on the home page. Your proof of the accuracy of your top secret method is- well- missing, just as we both knew it would be.

You have clearly lost this challenge, and your wording has seen to that !!

No need to cough up to me though, why don't you give your losses to one of your local "Mountain" rescue teams. When you hand over the cheque you can tell them how they've got it all wrong. I'm sure that would be warmly appreciated.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index