5758 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?Moving On
Dec 19, 2012, 16:29
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's 300 posts + the binned ones so time for my next question in my quest to learn more about rock art.

The rock art in Europe...does it follow in line with ours here with regard to style/quality/type? Is it possible or likely that the same 'hand' was responsible for some here and also over there? In other words, any evidence that a bloke who carved some there did the same here?

Very difficult to prove Roy even if true /possible .
There are some engravings I have mentioned in the past that are all small and distinctive and all within a radius of a couple of miles so may have been the same engraver but even that would be almost impossible to prove .

How about the style George does that change and do the cupmarks have an identical 'look' to them?

Cup marks are pretty similar everywhere that I have seen . There are some regional variations within Britain but similarities even between continents is more striking .

That's very interesting as it suggests a common understanding/meaning. Any clues as to who kicked it all off?

I don't buy a diffusion of ideas across continents and huge swathes of time . Same thing applies to music , the pentatonic scale is everywhere , paticularly in ehnic music but also in later and more sophisticated music it's what humans play ,sing and whistle . It is pretty astonishing seeing the same stuff appear all over the world though . The engravings on the ochre from Blombos cave in Africa is 70, 000 YA yet not dissimilar to that found on Grooved Ware or in passage graves or at Skara Brae ,it's what people do when the engrave or make pots or doodle .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 16:30
Emma A wrote:
And why are they (cup marks) so prolific? Are they easy to make? I would have thought that carving a straight line would be easier than a circle, but you don't get squares do you?

easy to make cup marks Emma , you do get rectangles/squares but not too common .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2012, 18:03
Dec 19, 2012, 17:36
Rocks and the landscape [and ancient monuments] have energies we no longer understand like the ancestors did, everythings alive with energy, to me the patterns on the rocks are images of that energy [and the stuff that's physically there], inside the mind and outside the minds [ in the landscape and in rocks] of all humans everywhere [that's why rock art's universal], we really are connected to everything, and some places are more densely packed with these energies than others because of a connection with the cosmos [stone circles and tombs], while other places it's all about the flow [stone rows and standing stones], it's this flow that connects all the ancient sites and were the first paths, the energy in us is the same as everywhere.
Emma A
69 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 17:42
OK so how do you do it? I imagine using a spherical stone (quartz?) cupped in the hand and grinding it against the "canvas", twisting the wrist. To make a straight line, you'd use a sawing action which seems much easier and less strenuous to me!
Harryshill
510 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 19, 2012, 17:42
If you know where the map is, you must have knowledge of the area and therefore don't need a map.

If you don't know the area, you won't know where the map is.

Circular.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 17:49
Harryshill wrote:
If you know where the map is, you must have knowledge of the area and therefore don't need a map.

If you don't know the area, you won't know where the map is.

Circular.

Your going to certain places in a natural landscape and hoping somethings there to help you on your way, even where you can and can't go, go the wrong way and you could end up with an arrow though your head, and you had to ask the spirits/ancesters back then as well if it was alright to go on.
Harryshill
510 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 17:50
Yep. As far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to find a village. I would follow the smoke and other signs of humanity.

If I lived in the village, I wouldn't need a map for anything, because I would know.

If I lived in the village, I'm damned if I would leave a map telling where and how many.

If I did want to leave a map of where and how many, I wouldn't write in in stone. I would use wood as I could correct the information as it changed (As it would)

And on and on.
Harryshill
510 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 17:56
The landscape near a human settlement is unlikely to be 'natural' More likely very natural.

You wouldn't go looking everywhere for a map unless you knew or believed one existed. Local knowledge.

The kind of folk that are going to shoot you in the head aren't the kind that will show you where everything is And probably they are the opposite.

It makes no sense at all to me.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2012, 18:03
Dec 19, 2012, 18:02
Harryshill wrote:
Yep. As far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to find a village. I would follow the smoke and other signs of humanity.

If I lived in the village, I wouldn't need a map for anything, because I would know.

If I lived in the village, I'm damned if I would leave a map telling where and how many.

If I did want to leave a map of where and how many, I wouldn't write in in stone. I would use wood as I could correct the information as it changed (As it would)

And on and on.

Like i said you wouldn't just stroll into a village back then, you'd have to have permission of living people and the spirits/ancestors, and the places to do the asking.
Harryshill
510 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:07
bladup wrote:
Harryshill wrote:

And on and on.

Like i said you wouldn't just stroll into a village back then, you'd have to have permission of living people and the spirits/ancestors, and the places to do the asking.

If I was talking to the spirits and ancestors, I wouldn't need any map.

The idea of a map is redundant in my mind.

I can see only one application and its not one that you have mentioned.
Pages: 42 – [ Previous | 130 31 32 33 34 35 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index