tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?Moving On
Dec 19, 2012, 18:50
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Emma A wrote:
OK so how do you do it? I imagine using a spherical stone (quartz?) cupped in the hand and grinding it against the "canvas", twisting the wrist. To make a straight line, you'd use a sawing action which seems much easier and less strenuous to me!

yep , easier with a pointed stone , quartz works bt as long as the engraving stone is harder the surface geology , it takes about 10 minutes for an average cup .

What even in granite George?

Granite would take longer but it is not used too often .It does tend have lots of natural cup like holes that could help as a start i.e. they that just get enhanced . Although granite on granite would work with nothing to enhance ,just take longer , the more complex motifs are usually avoided too .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:51
only Soft sandstone in 10 mins, that's about it, other stone would take a good bit longer than that.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:52
bladup wrote:
only Soft sandstone in 10 mins, that's about it, other stone would take a good bit longer than that.

10 minutes on schist which is quite a bit harder than sandstone .
Harryshill
510 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 19, 2012, 18:57
I don't really care what you think of me. It's not important.

You want to call me names, feel free. I don't mind what you write or what you think or believe, it's not relevant to me. Feel free to say what you want, It's a forum thats what people do.

Do I know much about RA, well, hell no I don't. Do I think it's likely to be a map, the same.

That's me and I owe you nothing.

I will discus with ours what I believe and I will discuss with you the same but as this isn't a discussion anymore, I drop out of it.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:58
tiompan wrote:

Granite would take longer but it is not used too often .It does tend have lots of natural cup like holes that could help as a start i.e. they that just get enhanced . Although granite on granite would work with nothing to enhance ,just take longer , the more complex motifs are usually avoided too .

Funnily enough that's a point (no pun intended!) I was going to raise, the use of a natural cup like hole to start it off. If they did and there was more than one, the 'pattern' produced would have been random and may not have been important to them, just the cupmarks themselves. Does that tell us anything other than the obvious?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2012, 19:00
Dec 19, 2012, 18:59
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Rocks and the landscape [and ancient monuments] have energies we no longer understand like the ancestors did, everythings alive with energy, to me the patterns on the rocks are images of that energy [and the stuff that's physically there], inside the mind and outside the minds [ in the landscape and in rocks] of all humans everywhere [that's why rock art's universal], we really are connected to everything, and some places are more densely packed with these energies than others because of a connection with the cosmos [stone circles and tombs], while other places it's all about the flow [stone rows and standing stones], it's this flow that connects all the ancient sites and were the first paths, the energy in us is the same as everywhere.

How come we haven't got more rock art down here in Cornwall then Paul considering the vast amount of stone circles/tombs/standing stones we have?

Because of what you've just said, it's big bits of quartz on big bits of quartz, it would take a long long time, like rubbing glass on glass, well the 3 brothers may have some on the cist? roof, there may be some on outcrops near Zennor quoit [not sure, but it's certainly not geology], and at boscawen-Un i think i've found a goddess breast like the ones in brittany, thus showing again the link between the two places and remember the massive stone axe carvings in relief [amazing] on the center stone again at Boscawen Un, it's there alright it's just that no ones really looked much.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 19:04
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:

You'd have thought it would be harder, i bet it surprised you? the same type rocks can be so different though [soft to hard], good going though eh.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 19:08
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:

You'd have thought it would be harder, i bet it surprised you? the same type rocks can be so different though [soft to hard], good going though eh.

I had an inkling because I had been told . Like most things a bit practice and you'd get much quicker, but then again no rush .
Harryshill
510 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 19, 2012, 19:12
Damn, slow down H.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 19:17
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Funnily enough that's a point (no pun intended!) I was going to raise, the use of a natural cup like hole to start it off. If they did and there was more than one, the 'pattern' produced would have been random and may not have been important to them, just the cupmarks themselves. Does that tell us anything other than the obvious?

No , it does us tell us something ,same as the important point that the rock surface often has a big input into what gets engraved . The assumption is often that the engraver approaches the canvas with a composition in their head that gets faithfully trasferred to the canvas .It doesn't seem that is what going on in many cases . It's more like jamming , you are constrained to an extent but not following anything prescriptive , you react to things as they appear to impose stuff .
Pages: 42 – [ Previous | 132 33 34 35 36 37 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index