Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 19, 2012, 18:08
bladup wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
If you know where the map is, you must have knowledge of the area and therefore don't need a map.

If you don't know the area, you won't know where the map is.

Circular.

Your going to certain places in a natural landscape and hoping somethings there to help you on your way, even where you can and can't go, go the wrong way and you could end up with an arrow though your head, and you had to ask the spirits/ancesters back then as well if it was alright to go on.

Couldn't you ask them before you go?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?Moving On
Dec 19, 2012, 18:17
Emma A wrote:
OK so how do you do it? I imagine using a spherical stone (quartz?) cupped in the hand and grinding it against the "canvas", twisting the wrist. To make a straight line, you'd use a sawing action which seems much easier and less strenuous to me!

yep , easier with a pointed stone , quartz works bt as long as the engraving stone is harder the surface geology , it takes about 10 minutes for an average cup .
You do find grooves that look like they have been icised rather than pecked .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:26
Harryshill wrote:
bladup wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
Yep. As far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to find a village. I would follow the smoke and other signs of humanity.

If I lived in the village, I wouldn't need a map for anything, because I would know.

If I lived in the village, I'm damned if I would leave a map telling where and how many.

If I did want to leave a map of where and how many, I wouldn't write in in stone. I would use wood as I could correct the information as it changed (As it would)

And on and on.

Like i said you wouldn't just stroll into a village back then, you'd have to have permission of living people and the spirits/ancestors, and the places to do the asking.

If I was talking to the spirits and ancestors, I wouldn't need any map.

The idea of a map is redundant in my mind.

I can see only one application and its not one that you have mentioned.

Instead of putting other peoples opinions down, how about something that you think [when you do it's normally sense], what do you think rock arts for if anything?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:28
And while your there, and after, and after that as well, and when they said no, well then it was the long way round.
Harryshill
510 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:31
I haven't put anybodies opinions down.

I said it didn't make any sense to me and that it is circular (Which it is)

I don't have to agree or believe your opinions are correct.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:39
bladup wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
If you know where the map is, you must have knowledge of the area and therefore don't need a map.

If you don't know the area, you won't know where the map is.

Circular.

Your going to certain places in a natural landscape and hoping somethings there to help you on your way, even where you can and can't go, go the wrong way and you could end up with an arrow though your head, and you had to ask the spirits/ancesters back then as well if it was alright to go on.

If the woods are troublesome for finding anything then you might need a map to find the original "map " . Then what do you do ?. If what it is supposed to be indicating is nearby you may have come across "them " earlier in which case no need for the map. If they are more distant do you then remember the info but if so pretty soon your'e back to the original problem ,in the woods not knowing where to go and in need of a map . Where you find one marked rock often enough there will be others , so you miight find another "map" which will have entirely different info from the first , i..e. a different number of markings and in a different configuration , do you then accept this one as the real " map" ? Then there is the problem of the map maker how did they know how to replicate the configuration accurately when they also had the problem of being in the woods which caused the problem in the first place ? More likely punters did know their way around to important spots in the landscape whether in trees or otherwise and had no need for maps particularly "Flintstone " style ones .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:41
Harryshill wrote:
I haven't put anybodies opinions down.

I said it didn't make any sense to me and that it is circular (Which it is)

I don't have to agree or believe your opinions are correct.

Why do you always have to say you don't? it would be alright if you sometimes said you do, but it's a bit much, so what if you don't agree i don't understand why you have to tell me all the time, i bet loads don't agree with me but they don't feel the need to tell me all the fucking time, you are a troll and i understand that now, the ed's have said don't react, so i won't, what do you think rock art was for?, if anything, come on join in properly instead of just picking at people, it's so easy to just do what your doing, but i get a feeling you think it's somehow clever, join in properly and show us all how clever you really are, or let us put down some of your ideas about things [like you do].
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:43
tiompan wrote:
Emma A wrote:
OK so how do you do it? I imagine using a spherical stone (quartz?) cupped in the hand and grinding it against the "canvas", twisting the wrist. To make a straight line, you'd use a sawing action which seems much easier and less strenuous to me!

yep , easier with a pointed stone , quartz works bt as long as the engraving stone is harder the surface geology , it takes about 10 minutes for an average cup .

What even in granite George?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:48
You might not agree with me but i know you know what i'm on about, the energies and spirit places [and physical things, some still there others long gone] are marked as well, this bit is the missing link [that most no longer understand], ask an aboriginal and you'll get a similar answer to what i'm saying, like i said you might not agree but i know you know what i'm on about, why are you playing dumb? i don't understand, you've heard what i'm saying elsewhere, it's not far out, it's the way we were, and it's still in some of us.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 19, 2012, 18:49
bladup wrote:
Rocks and the landscape [and ancient monuments] have energies we no longer understand like the ancestors did, everythings alive with energy, to me the patterns on the rocks are images of that energy [and the stuff that's physically there], inside the mind and outside the minds [ in the landscape and in rocks] of all humans everywhere [that's why rock art's universal], we really are connected to everything, and some places are more densely packed with these energies than others because of a connection with the cosmos [stone circles and tombs], while other places it's all about the flow [stone rows and standing stones], it's this flow that connects all the ancient sites and were the first paths, the energy in us is the same as everywhere.

How come we haven't got more rock art down here in Cornwall then Paul considering the vast amount of stone circles/tombs/standing stones we have?
Pages: 42 – [ Previous | 131 32 33 34 35 36 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index