tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The finished circle
Aug 06, 2012, 09:12
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I just meant your experience at the site is adequate for you but is of no value to anyone else who is trying to work out what happened there.

Why not? i would be interested if it was someone else.

In this field subjective impressions usually tell us more about the person , their culture and period they live in than the object being experienced .

But boy i have a lot of objects, that is the proof-----real items, beautiful items, not something in my head [i get shown it, i don't even look!!], i'm to busy looking at the landscapes, people may be able to use metal detectors for metal, but theres nothing like that for what i end up with.

People find objects all the time , it doesn't mean they have been led to them , although some may believe so from a religio/mystico perspective .Those who find things without that perspective put it down to hard work ,being in the right place ,study , having an understanding of where to expect to find these things , luck and other unconscious motivations that could be subsumed under intuition , which is in effect knowing without knowing , the norm of everyday consciousness .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 10:40
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I just meant your experience at the site is adequate for you but is of no value to anyone else who is trying to work out what happened there.

In this field subjective impressions usually tell us more about the person , their culture and period they live in than the object being experienced .

But boy i have a lot of objects, that is the proof-----real items, beautiful items, not something in my head [i get shown it, i don't even look!!], i'm to busy looking at the landscapes, people may be able to use metal detectors for metal, but theres nothing like that for what i end up with.

People find objects all the time , it doesn't mean they have been led to them , although some may believe so from a religio/mystico perspective .Those who find things without that perspective put it down to hard work ,being in the right place ,study , having an understanding of where to expect to find these things , luck and other unconscious motivations that could be subsumed under intuition , which is in effect knowing without knowing , the norm of everyday consciousness .

If that's the case why doesn't it happen to everyone with that level of knowledge, i'm not even looking which of course does open up the subconscious but that still doesn't answer why it doesn't happen to everyone who isn't looking, is pessimism a hobby or just a personal trait?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 11:01
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

If that's the case why doesn't it happen to everyone with that level of knowledge, i'm not even looking which of course does open up the subconscious but that still doesn't answer why it doesn't happen to everyone who isn't looking, is pessimism a hobby or just a personal trait?

There is more to it than just knowledge . Is gullibility a hobby or just a personal trait . Look , if someone disagrees you it's better to argue the point rather than resort to cheap jibes all those closed mind /open mind , pessimism /optimism binary oppositions are a waste of time that contribute nothing , if that's all you have to offer don't expect replies .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 11:28
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Well said that man.

This is a subject in which we share such a common interest and such a common passion – gawd knows then why it attracts so much agro. Is it because so much is improvable, so consequently we fill the vacuum with our own pet theories, experiences, likes and dislikes? Then get ratty when those things are challenged?

Jeeze...

That is better than this place been like some boring academic paper, i really think the idea of this place was against that world as cope wasn't academic , take the truth from that world and add to it with are wonderful imaginations, it all seems to me that it's all got a little too academic, this site has less and less great mystics like paul1970 and the angle people like that come from in his fieldnotes , it would be really really bad if those peolple felt pushed away because of the closed soul world of academics, i feel this may be happening, which is such a shame as even the modern antiquarian could be pulled apart by so called academics, and look what a wonderful book that has been for so many of us.

You should write and publish your own book Bladup. You won't be held back by restraints put on academics who are expected to offer proof of their claims and are in the main reluctant to offer any far out ideas or 'feelings' they may well have. You are in a position to say what you like, when you like and no comeback on you or loss of future revenue because of it. I did it and will do it again ASAP. The same applies to all of us. If you have something to say then go for it, don't just sit back and whinge about academics as that will get you nowhere at all. What you would bring to the table would be possibly something new and refreshing and not considered seriously before, something that those academics/archaelogists would begin to think about but something they could not claim as their own as you would have beaten them to it...and in print! I, and just about all on this forum, have ideas and inspirations and we feed off each other gaining knowledge along the way that may be either 'with us or against us' in our thoughts. Where we want to take it after that is up to us as individuals. We can either sit back and argue our case over and over on forums or do something practical about it. Just a word of warning though...don't expect an easy ride. You have shown to be a mine of information of sorts, what you need to do now is go out and show that what you claim has a solid foundation to it or suffer the consequences which is what academics never subject themselves to.
All the above is said in a friendly way with no malice intended. Just go for it.

I loved "You have shown to be a mine of information of sorts", i really couldn't have put it better myself- i think it's the "of sorts" bit that gets me into trouble, i've always thought all the stuff in my head needs a place to go [as a lot of us do- look at you with all your books], but my writing skills [i don't have any!!!] leave a lot to be desired, but thanks as you know a lot of things that were once classed as mad are now classed as fact, and my problem with academics is proving things are right that are hard to prove [ without been like them- which would stop me been like me], it should be their job to prove us wrong, but that can't happen because most of the time they don't even know what i'm talking about and because they don't know what your talking about [ and therefore not understand it] just dismiss it out of hand, in their world nothing would ever get learnt without the mystics [ having truths for them to prove right or wrong], but that really is my main problem with that world something "proved wrong" by them will probably be "proved right" many years later by the same sort of people just with better technology, they can't seem to see that history proves them wrong time and time again in an ever changing world, maybe the stuff i know is meant for me and should be more personal, i have people who know what i'm on about, so they clearly don't think i'm mad, it's when i put something outside that group that i get trouble, so maybe i shouldn't do it- a mystic should be mysterious i guess!!!! i do know certain information is for certain people only though, as you are a mystic yourself - look how you let avebury [or the things there] get into you and teach you, so it heartens me that people like you are out there. thanks, and hey the first [sheep]dogs were probably trained up on windmill hill before avebury was even built, your own past life was probably one of the trainers [ it would explain your twin interests] .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 11:42
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

There is more to it than just knowledge . Is gullibility a hobby or just a personal trait . Look , if someone disagrees you it's better to argue the point rather than resort to cheap jibes all those closed mind /open mind , pessimism /optimism binary oppositions are a waste of time that contribute nothing , if that's all you have to offer don't expect replies .

Sorry but i'll do and say what i want, it's nothing to do with you, just leave it then and i'll leave you alone and you tell me if gullibility is a hobby or a personal trait [i feel you may know], it really does sound like all your knowledge is out of books anyway, i don't get a sense of anything really coming from you, everyones wrong on certain things but at least it all comes from myself [i can't read very well so i ain't no book whore], just look though your books and you WILL find that they are full of "facts" that aren't "facts" anymore.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 11:53
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Sorry but i'll do and say what i want, it's nothing to do with you, just leave it then and i'll leave you alone and you tell me if gullibility is a hobby or a personal trait [i feel you may know], it really does sound like all your knowledge is out of books anyway, i don't get a sense of anything really coming from you, everyones wrong on certain things but at least it all comes from myself [i can't read very well so i ain't no book whore], just look though your books and you WILL find that they are full of "facts" that aren't "facts" anymore.

Nobody suggests that you don't do what you want ,feel free . But if you are looking for a dicussion don't be rude , we a can all do that but it is not helpful on a discussion group , that's best kept for face to face real life situations . If you make comments that are stated as facts as in the case of these from many posts ago "Stone circles have nothing left in them [thats why archeologists don't like them]
and when they do find stuff it's from a different age [romans liked leaving coins] to when the circle was built, " then expect to be corrected . Just because you believe/imagine something to be true doesn't make it so .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 12:02
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Nobody suggests that you don't do what you want ,feel free . But if you are looking for a dicussion don't be rude , we a can all do that but it is not helpful on a discussion group , that's best kept for face to face real life situations . If you make comments that are stated as facts as in the case of these from many posts ago "Stone circles have nothing left in them [thats why archeologists don't like them]
and when they do find stuff it's from a different age [romans liked leaving coins] to when the circle was built, " then expect to be corrected . Just because you believe/imagine something to be true doesn't make it so .

But the mad thing is the comments you keep quoting "stone circles have not a lot in them [ that's why they don't interest a lot of archeologists] are from books not me, so even that backs me up- books and academics are normally full of shit------yes even more shit than the mystics.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 12:18
My understanding is that science, broadly, is a continual progression toward what are, unsatisfactorily, called 'truths' by a process of experiment and confirmation/rejection.

I had an ear infection a few weeks ago and because at some point in the past I have been told that it’s the best thing to do in the situation, I went to visit my doctor. He himself has been told by somebody else that other individuals in the past have performed certain experiments, attempting to discover a ‘cure’ for the ailment from which I was suffering. The doctor gave me some medicine, which his education and my previous experience and trust in established ‘truths’ told me I should take. I took the medicine and my ear infection cleared up.
Therefore, I would recommend a trip to the doctors to other people suffering with an ear infection, simply because a ‘truth’ is that it solved my problem.

Perhaps at some point in the future it will become a 'truth' (by some form of adequate experiment) that people, or perhaps even only a certain sort of person, can be led to objects, knowledge in the way you describe, bladup.
I, for one, would absolutely love that to be the case, because it’s very very exciting.
I think it is fair to say that in the meantime you may have to wait for the world to catch you up on this one. Which, keeping in mind my experience with the GP, and the way we progress as a society, is surely totally understandable?

I've had 'odd' experiences myself, things I can't readily explain from my experience as a human being on this planet, educated to understand the planets natural 'laws' and it's functioning. But I can’t claim to have an understanding of what they are, what caused them to happen or what they mean. However tempting and exciting it is, I resist attaching my own ideas to these happenings because other experiences throughout my life have shown me that I can be very very wrong indeed! And, really, what basis do I have?
It’s disappointing almost, but I have to remain rational or I have no base upon which to place genuine knowledge when it comes along. (such as if your experiences, bladup, turn out to be ‘truths’ in the future).
I cannot allow myself to indulge in these, certainly attractive, ideas with no basis.
I would be doing myself a total disservice.

Some could suggest I have little, perhaps ‘intrinsic sense’ or ‘feeling’ for what is happening when I experience odd things in my own life, but do I think and feel all manner of very unusual things. I get very strong ‘feelings’ when I visit some ancient sites for example, including sadness, fear. But I don’t know what it means or how those feelings are created, or what for. I can also have these feelings when listening to music or doing a bit of housework.. :)

In some of my more ‘spiritual’ moments, when I’ve attempted to open myself up (er, so to speak) or ask another ‘entity’ to impart knowledge to me (what a nutjob, eh?) I have to be honest with myself and say it doesn’t seem to do anything other than make my mind go on a shopping spree of sorts. But I still WANT to believe in these possibilities, and that is why I must be so careful with what I let myself regard as real.

But I don't believe that everybody who claims to have seen, for example, a 'ghost' (whatever that is) is lying or mistaken. I think some people experience things, visual or otherwise, that are outside of our ‘usual’ experiences, or things we all recognise, and that is not necessarily to do with malfunction of the machinery we use to establish these everyday ‘truths’ in the first place.

Tiopman, I think you are partially correct about culture when considering UFO sightings and the like, but that alone does not explain away the ‘unrecognised’ experience.
The way people describe happenings or the importance they place upon them may be linked to their culture, time of living, but it doesn't mean that something outside of our current understanding or ‘truths’ (experiment/confirmation) isnt actually happening.

Apologies for banging on.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 12:19
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

But the mad thing is the comments you keep quoting "stone circles have not a lot in them [ that's why they don't interest a lot of archeologists] are from books not me, so even that backs me up- books and academics are normally full of shit------yes even more shit than the mystics.

For someone who is so anti books it's odd you mentioning having 100's of books , Burl ,Barnatt etc and are the only one ever to mention them .
If the famous erroneous comment came from a book then it is clearly wrong ,you should have mentioned where the comment came from .
If we relied on the beliefs of mystics or those who believe simply communing with a site will provide an explanation for when and possibly why it was built instead of relying upon excavation we would still be talking about "Druidical altars " , "Danes graves " " fairy mounds " witches stones" etc .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 06, 2012, 12:35
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
My understanding is that science, broadly, is a continual progression toward what are, unsatisfactorily, called 'truths' by a process of experiment and confirmation/rejection.

I had an ear infection a few weeks ago and because at some point in the past I have been told that it’s the best thing to do in the situation, I went to visit my doctor. He himself has been told by somebody else that other individuals in the past have performed certain experiments, attempting to discover a ‘cure’ for the ailment from which I was suffering. The doctor gave me some medicine, which his education and my previous experience and trust in established ‘truths’ told me I should take. I took the medicine and my ear infection cleared up.
Therefore, I would recommend a trip to the doctors to other people suffering with an ear infection, simply because a ‘truth’ is that it solved my problem.

Perhaps at some point in the future it will become a 'truth' (by some form of adequate experiment) that people, or perhaps even only a certain sort of person, can be led to objects, knowledge in the way you describe, bladup.
I, for one, would absolutely love that to be the case, because it’s very very exciting.
I think it is fair to say that in the meantime you may have to wait for the world to catch you up on this one. Which, keeping in mind my experience with the GP, and the way we progress as a society, is surely totally understandable?

I've had 'odd' experiences myself, things I can't readily explain from my experience as a human being on this planet, educated to understand the planets natural 'laws' and it's functioning. But I can’t claim to have an understanding of what they are, what caused them to happen or what they mean. However tempting and exciting it is, I resist attaching my own ideas to these happenings because other experiences throughout my life have shown me that I can be very very wrong indeed! And, really, what basis do I have?
It’s disappointing almost, but I have to remain rational or I have no base upon which to place genuine knowledge when it comes along. (such as if your experiences, bladup, turn out to be ‘truths’ in the future).
I cannot allow myself to indulge in these, certainly attractive, ideas with no basis.
I would be doing myself a total disservice.

Some could suggest I have little, perhaps ‘intrinsic sense’ or ‘feeling’ for what is happening when I experience odd things in my own life, but do I think and feel all manner of very unusual things. I get very strong ‘feelings’ when I visit some ancient sites for example, including sadness, fear. But I don’t know what it means or how those feelings are created, or what for. I can also have these feelings when listening to music or doing a bit of housework.. :)

In some of my more ‘spiritual’ moments, when I’ve attempted to open myself up (er, so to speak) or ask another ‘entity’ to impart knowledge to me (what a nutjob, eh?) I have to be honest with myself and say it doesn’t seem to do anything other than make my mind go on a shopping spree of sorts. But I still WANT to believe in these possibilities, and that is why I must be so careful with what I let myself regard as real.

But I don't believe that everybody who claims to have seen, for example, a 'ghost' (whatever that is) is lying or mistaken. I think some people experience things, visual or otherwise, that are outside of our ‘usual’ experiences, or things we all recognise, and that is not necessarily to do with malfunction of the machinery we use to establish these everyday ‘truths’ in the first place.

Tiopman, I think you are partially correct about culture when considering UFO sightings and the like, but that alone does not explain away the ‘unrecognised’ experience.
The way people describe happenings or the importance they place upon them may be linked to their culture, time of living, but it doesn't mean that something outside of our current understanding or ‘truths’ (experiment/confirmation) isnt actually happening.

Apologies for banging on.

Good post , E D . ,not banging on . In many cases of UFO sightings , ghosts etc I do believe they can be explained away but I do agree entirely that there is plenty outside of our current understanding , we are beginners . Although it is an old chestnut and has become overused by the paranormalists the Bards Horatio comment will always be true .
Pages: 28 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index