Hampshire »
Witch Burial Site Under Threat

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Seventhorn Inn
7 posts

Witch Burial Site Under Threat
Jul 25, 2009, 13:29
An area of land outside Southampton, known as 'the Triangle', is under threat of building development. Some might say, 'So what?' As one objection to the (successful) planning application put it: 'The site has a legend called Kitty Nocks buried on it and therefore should not be disturbed'. Naturally, this objection wasn't even taken into consideration.

The Triangle is on Kitnocks Hill, in Curdridge, and is formed by the junctions of Lockhams Road, Chapel Lane and Kitnocks Hill. The OS grid reference is SU 534 136, and the postcode is SO32 2HJ for anyone who wants to google map it. It's owned by a Mr C Collins who, in recent years has fenced off the site, preventing the customary public access to it, as well as putting up signs stating 'Trespassers Will Be Sued'. He is currently appealing against the decision to grant him planning permission, because it is conditional on him respecting the tree preservation order covering the site. There isn't as yet a local campaign against the development. One idea, at the most symbolic level, is to leave flowers for Kitty at the Triangle. There is also an application to have the land registered as a village green.

Who is Kitty Nocks? She's a local witch who, at midnight at the full moon, is reputed to ride around a pond in the grounds of Kitnocks House on a white horse. A gargoyle on the south-east corner of the nineteenth-century Curdridge church represents her (as 'Kitnox'). An apparition of an old lady seen in Lockhams Road in 1978 is believed to be her - a poor lad who had just got off the late night bus, believing she was stuck in a ditch, went to help her, but was horrified when his hand went straight through her!
Amberlady
3 posts

Re: Witch Burial Site Under Threat
Jul 27, 2009, 21:18
Are you getting your knickers in a twist over a piece of endangered green land or because some mythological witch is supposd to be buried there?
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 28, 2009, 00:07
You should campaign about this in the immediate area and Southampton in general if your going to achieve anything, this is a site dedicated to prehistory so you'll not find many people here willing to jump on your (for want of a better word) band waggon.
Good luck to you anyway, though i can't see this as anything more than a cross post spurned by ill targeted desperation to be honest.
Contact your mp and see if you get any joy, raise a local petition in the city center to see if you have any support if it means that much, no one is gonna do it for you are they no matter how many sites you visit to make a one off post. : )
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 28, 2009, 07:58
Aren't you two being a bit harsh? Surely someone wanting to save a bit of their local history and a green site at that deserves some sympathy?? Sounds like the usual tale of people selling off tiny corners of land just to make a fast buck and put some houses on them. If it's privately owned I don't know how much luck you'll have... let's hope there are some very rare species on there, or some other planning regulation that'll help you.
wychburyman
951 posts

Jul 28, 2009, 09:08
megadread wrote:
You should campaign about this in the immediate area and Southampton in general if your going to achieve anything, this is a site dedicated to prehistory so you'll not find many people here willing to jump on your (for want of a better word) band waggon.
Good luck to you anyway, though i can't see this as anything more than a cross post spurned by ill targeted desperation to be honest.
Contact your mp and see if you get any joy, raise a local petition in the city center to see if you have any support if it means that much, no one is gonna do it for you are they no matter how many sites you visit to make a one off post. : )

Hmmm, there's been plenty of "bandwagon's" on this forum in order to protect prehistoric sites, a case of you scratch my back might provide some advantage for both parties. But there again I must assume that you are in privaledged position to know what most posters on this forum think to presume on behalf of others that not many will "jump".
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 28, 2009, 09:21
Rhiannon wrote:
Aren't you two being a bit harsh? Surely someone wanting to save a bit of their local history and a green site at that deserves some sympathy?? Sounds like the usual tale of people selling off tiny corners of land just to make a fast buck and put some houses on them. If it's privately owned I don't know how much luck you'll have... let's hope there are some very rare species on there, or some other planning regulation that'll help you.

Aye, wanting to resist the march of development into any remaining green bits of this overcrowded island ought to attract a bit of sympathy. Let's face it, it's not a game of chess, it's a war. Someone wants to make personal gain at the expense of the communal interest.... and Tarmac et al will use any trick in the book so why shouldn't their opponents? Smooth snakes should be used - even if they have to be shipped in. ;)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 28, 2009, 09:57
By sheer coincidence, I drove through Curdridge on my way to Old Winchester Hill last Sunday!

Unfortunately I didn't remember any of the details from the post so didn't know where to look for "The Triangle"...

I did drive past the church though, and after re-reading the history I'm intrigued to find out more! I might have a nose around in the next couple of weeks...

Not sure it's prehistoric though, but will investigate further.

G x
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 28, 2009, 12:30
wychburyman wrote:
megadread wrote:

Hmmm, there's been plenty of "bandwagon's" on this forum in order to protect prehistoric sites, a case of you scratch my back might provide some advantage for both parties. But there again I must assume that you are in privaledged position to know what most posters on this forum think to presume on behalf of others that not many will "jump".

No, i can't speak for the majority here only myself but seeing as the post went unanswered for 3 or 4 days it led me to believe the interest level from members was low, maybe people were just too busy making placards and e-mailing the authorities to answer, i dunno.
You may not agree with my opinion but my reply did bring the topic back to the top of the forum prompting more people to read it and add opinion.
From my experience suggesting she / he tries to canvas opinion is a useful thing and doing that in the local area would be more fruitful than doing so here.
The site has a myth attached to is, it seems thats all, no prehistoric history, hence my comment about this forum.
I'm all for helping anyone i can, in this case i judged i can't directly so i made the most helpful comments that i was able with the knowledge i had, yes it may have come across as harsh but i didn't intend it that way.
Tell you the truth, i have no interest in witches but in a back to front way i was trying to help though it may seem i wasn't, it's no biggy.
Time for more fresh air methinks. : )
Seventhorn Inn
7 posts

Jul 28, 2009, 21:45
Goffik,
If you were heading for Old Winchester Hill, you most probably took the Bishops Waltham road, which is the left hand fork after Botley station (wait...of course you took the BW road 'cos Curdridge church is on it!). Kitnocks Hill is on the Wickham road, which is the right fork.

Old Winchester Hill is great - been going up there for 38 years - have you seen the tree-shrouded dew pond up there called Seven Wells? Beacon Hill, across the Meon valley from O.W.H. is also worth looking at. There's a Bronze Age linear bank there(traceable in the car park), the line of which appears to be extended by the modern road, which itself aligns on the deserted medieval village of Lomer,named after a tree-shrouded pond (is there a theme developing here?).

Do have a look round Curdridge, I'd be interested to know what you think and what you might find out. Not strictly 'prehistoric' perhaps, although a Bronze Age urn was found on Kitnocks Hill in the nineteenth century, which is now in the Winchester Museum. I do wonder, though, whether some of these witch stories convey echoes of primeval goddesses - if Curdridge was in Ireland would we be talking about 'the Cailleach' or a Sidh woman?

Another thing that needs sorting is whether Kitty Nocks and another Curdridge witch, Kate Hunt, are different people, or the same woman with different names. Kate Hunt, or 'Hare Kate' used to transform into a white hare, until she was shot with a silver bullet (fashioned from a sixpence?). She used to ride a five-bar gate to meetings at Bishops Waltham. She was also associated with Pink Mead, by the River Hamble at Botley.
Cheers,
SI
wychburyman
951 posts

Jul 29, 2009, 10:14
megadread wrote:
[ it's no biggy.
Time for more fresh air methinks. : )

good idea! :-)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index