Witch Burial Site Under Threat

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Simon Crook
9 posts

Re: Witch Burial Site Under Threat
Aug 01, 2012, 18:48
Rhiannon wrote:
It's a real shame because rather boils down to someone's greed to make money out of sticking houses on it and selling them. Which many people will say is perfectly legitimate of course. But I prefer greenery and trees and there are surely loads of places that are already ruined that you can stick houses on. I had a read of the document about trying to have it registered as a village green, there were lots of people supporting it weren't there.

If it's really as boggy as you suggest perhaps they'll be put off by that, surely added work and money to sort out, who wants to live in a swamp with their foundations sinking. Or maybe you can find some rare newts or something...

You're right about the village green application - there was a strong undercurrent of local support, much more of it would have been public, evidently, but some felt they couldn't be upfront. The inspector's report was a travesty - rejecting the testimony of those with a strong emotional connection to the place while the cold logic of the economy can trundle on unchallenged... It might seem perverse (from the point of view of such a logic)but another prolonged monsoon and housing market crash might not go amiss in this situation (though our roof leaks, so I wouldn't be too enamoured of that!). Perhaps Kitty might have a trick up her sleeve...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Aug 01, 2012, 19:14
Simon Crook wrote:

Perhaps Kitty might have a trick up her sleeve...

Witch one :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Aug 01, 2012, 21:18
Rhiannon wrote:
Interesting though that the version they're propagating now, you've subsequently found wasn't the "true" version. So out it goes into the world to get repeated.

Which is perhaps how a lot of folkore got started (not by internet propagation, obviously) by versions and chinese whispers, half-remembered truths, etc. I think that's quite fascinating.

Although, in this case unfortutely it seems to be more of a symptom of lazy "research" by the author of the book.
Simon Crook
9 posts

Aug 02, 2012, 16:02
Rhiannon wrote:
If it's really as boggy as you suggest perhaps they'll be put off by that, surely added work and money to sort out, who wants to live in a swamp with their foundations sinking. Or maybe you can find some rare newts or something...

There was a lot of 'bog-building' in Ireland during the 'Celtic Tiger' years - the pigeons (or should I say, swans?)are now coming home to roost...
http://www.shelltosea.com/content/corrib-and-art-bog-building
Definitely something to flag up.
Simon Crook
9 posts

Sep 15, 2012, 11:29
As regards the plagiarism pointed out above: I have received an acknowledgement from the publisher, The History Press, that the information was indeed taken from this website and not credited. The publisher has offered me a fulsome apology on behalf of the author, Penny Legg, which I shall be accepting. I've withdrawn the posts on the blog to which I've linked on this site,which detailed the specific infringements. I've got one or two other bits of 'housekeeping' I'll need to do, but can't get round to yet as I've got a very hectic schedule this weekend. My sincere thanks go out to those who've supported me on this thread.

Simon.
Simon Crook
9 posts

Nov 08, 2012, 18:25
Looks like the last hurdle to developing this site has been cleared. Here's a response: http://thegrammarofmatter.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/tempting-fate-at-kitnocks-hill/
lunarmaze
1 posts

Aug 19, 2019, 21:40
Hi Simon- don't know if you still on this forum - I found you as I'm researching Atlantis location - I found big coincidences with Finnigans Wake (1132 esp)...which led me to the khafre Valley Temple and also the chamber at Unas pyramid with its rhombus murals and star ceiling...which led me to your blog:)
Give me a shout if you interested - if anyone else is, happy to share (have couple of youtube vids) - but don't want to spam on my 1st post:)
cheers
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index