Jul 22, 2007, 07:53
You're the expert...

G x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: And now for the door...
Jul 22, 2007, 07:55
Alright, alright, I was just told the cross beam's have gone out of skew with the treadle...

Morning VBB.

Wot treadle? Wot machine? (treadle = leaver moved by foot and imparting motion to machine). Always suspected Silbury was more than just a monument ;-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 22, 2007, 07:58
"Alright, alright, I was just told the the cross beam's have gone out of skew with the treadle, there's no need for an EH inquisitio...
"DA-da! No-one expects the EH inquisition!""

VBB, its bad enough trying to deal with the quotes of a queer quango but trying to figure out the meaning of the words of a still-pissed old fart on a Sunday morning is too much...
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: English Heritage and Heritage Action meeting?
Jul 22, 2007, 10:33
[quote="Regarding the face to face discussions between EH and HA, obviously these have broken down over the years. A shame as talk is far better than hate and bile.[/quote]

As I am not an HA member you might take it from me that it was not for the want of trying on their part.

VBB
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 22, 2007, 10:37
nigelswift wrote:
"Alright, alright, I was just told the the cross beam's have gone out of skew with the treadle, there's no need for an EH inquisitio...
"DA-da! No-one expects the EH inquisition!""

VBB, its bad enough trying to deal with the quotes of a queer quango but trying to figure out the meaning of the words of a still-pissed old fart on a Sunday morning is too much...

Apologies, you are quite right. My Pythonesque banter was truly out of place, and I sentence myself to licking the road clean and finding the room in EH where one can hold an argument that is listened to.

Can we now close that blooming door ?

VBB
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 22, 2007, 11:19

Not letting you off the hook that easily Mr VBB :-)

I want to know more about this treadle. Some of us won't sleep easy until we're sure there's no foot-operated machine chugging away at the heart of Silbury ;-)
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 22, 2007, 11:51
Littlestone wrote:

Not letting you off the hook that easily Mr VBB :-)

I want to know more about this treadle. Some of us won't sleep easy until we're sure there's no foot-operated machine chugging away at the heart of Silbury ;-)

If that is a door hook, you can sling your hook !

I am back to work on the morrow after my fortnight in the boiling sunshine oif the south coast, where the birds are singing and I can stop toying with heritage professionals by chance encountered on trips round Dorchester Museum.

She was also a very nice woamn!

As for the treadle you will have to watch the DVD of Now for Something Completely Different and wait for the bit where Graham Chapman is sent by the mill owner to take a message to the Country House.

This symbolises the clash of cultures between ordinary working folk who love ancient monuments industrial archaeology history about people places and events relevant to them, and the upper echelons and those dedicated to grand architecture and public statuary. In the C19 the interest of this latter brigade was in self-preservation managed as a private club by archaeological societies dominated by clergy and gentry. Now it is similarly managed in self interest by another sort of private club.

But holiday over I have now to revert to my usual fleeting appearances after two weeks at Loggerheads with 'er indoors, and return to earning the wife enough to go to bingo. As I am next year four years older than Mr Swift is now, I may have more time to engage with you all. Till then, add, ad, adie u....cheerio.

VBB
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 23, 2007, 15:38
Update 10 now available.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Silbury about to implode?
Jul 26, 2007, 12:51
Local radio reported earlier today that the future of Silbury is causing great concern. It would appear that fears are growing that it could implode due to a massive volume of water accumulating in the structure as a result of past tunnelling.

The National Trust have said they are now gravely concerned about Silbury.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Silbury about to implode?
Jul 26, 2007, 13:05
That's so sad.
But if its true the only priority is safety for the people working on it.
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 154 55 56 57 58 59 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index