This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 155 56 57 58 59 60 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Jul 26, 2007, 14:18
Re: Silbury about to implode?
Jul 26, 2007, 14:15
and the week 10 update suggests that the tunnel actually gets wider towards the centre and that the centre wasn't filled! only part of the tunnel. More hole than hill.

week 9's update is a bit mental, with musicians being sent up to the top to play their instruments, and people at WK longbarrow saying they could hear them clearly.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jul 26, 2007, 16:44
I strongly suggest that you visit the mound now if you have the chance.
It could be your last chance to see.
There is much more going on than the chuckle bros know about...
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 26, 2007, 16:59
[quote="Pete G"]I strongly suggest that you visit the mound now if you have the chance.
It could be your last chance to see.
quote]

Positive thoughts are needed in view of the news right now, the tunnel is all but emptied and the rain is coming down, and probably the water table is coming up. Silbury is at its most vulnerable, and sadly Pete could be right about visiting.
I might just make it in the light, I'm off. Let's all just hope it is is as OK as it can be now.

VBB
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jul 26, 2007, 19:05
VenerableBottyBurp wrote:

I might just make it in the light, I'm off. Let's all just hope it is is as OK as it can be now.

VBB

Yeah I'm off also, I told you I won't post here again.
Back to the Silbury forum to figure out what "Catastrophic Internal Collapse" actualy means....
whipangel
137 posts

Jul 26, 2007, 19:30
Stunned, utterly stunned.

I can't find anything on the t'interweb about this yet, ('cept here), have the BBC been informed of this?

Where else is this being discussed?

WA
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Jul 26, 2007, 19:34
Holy sh*t, thats a real shocker and a tragedy. Hopefully Silbury will soon be reporting 'rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated..'. Glad I visited this summer.
whipangel
137 posts

Re: Silbury about to implode? /Radio Wilts news
Jul 26, 2007, 20:14
Just rang BBC Radio Wiltshire's news line, and they were unaware of any serious threat to her, they said that a planned tour of the re-opened tunnel had been cancelled today due to the weather, but they hadn't heard any more.

Reassuringly, the woman I spoke to was well aware of the significance of any such threat.

Watching this space.
whipangel
137 posts

Jul 26, 2007, 20:33
http://www.aveburylodge.co.uk/News.html

"July 26th - A trench is left opened on top of the hill while local radio Wiltshire express concerns over a possible implosion after heavy rains soak the hill again. The National Trust express their concerns while locals are talking about hearing of a catastophic internal collapse. English Heritage and Skanska have yet to confirm or deny."
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Edited Jul 26, 2007, 20:38
Jul 26, 2007, 20:34
Bloody hell!

So that means "the chuckle brothers" were right all along! Sadly... :(

Heritage Action tried desperately hard to make this NOT happen, and met some pretty stiff opposition (often from the most unexpected people!). Let's just hope Skanska and English Heritage can do what they initially promised all that time ago and fix the problem...

G x
whipangel
137 posts

Jul 26, 2007, 20:50
I wish the news sites had picked up on this, the rumours sound dire. Please post any more info you come across, I'm refreshing every ten minutes or so.

Warming up the car for a looong drive
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 155 56 57 58 59 60 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index