Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: tyres.
May 21, 2007, 16:40
I knew they were there.
Locals told me that they used to roll them down the hill after Atkinson left and as the tunnel was left open its no suprise thats were they ended up.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: First EH update
May 21, 2007, 16:41
If you want something doing.
The Skanska project manager has agreed to take my camera inside for me.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 21, 2007, 17:01
Maybe you should suggest that before the school closes every single schoolchild in Avebury is given a full guided tour,with the freedom to take as many pictures as they like.

IMHO they have more right to have a look inside (like their grandparents did) than any of the great, the good and the quangoid for whom it now seems to have been exclusively annexed.

Or is that too reasonable?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

May 21, 2007, 17:12
elf & safty innit?

You need a confined spaces certificate.
I thought the visitors centre was supposed to have a live tv feed?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: tyres.
May 21, 2007, 17:48
Rhiannon wrote:
tyres?? tyres. ffs.

That's putting it mildly.

Given that the BBC were instrumental in this mega cock-up in the first place, and they are still able to spend some £25,000 per episode on Neighbours, perhaps they should now be held to account for their Silbury misdemeanours and forced to provide free, impartial coverage of the present conservation project and supply funds for it should it overrun its allocated budget.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 21, 2007, 17:56
Doesn't look like the Confined Spaces regulations are at all applicable here -
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1997/19971713.htm

As for Health and Safety, what's healthy and safe for the chosen invitees would be equally healthy and safe for everyone else, wouldn't it?

I think every kid in the school should put in a request in writing.....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury updates
May 21, 2007, 21:11
Nor have English Heritage answered the question I sent their 'Ask the Experts' link.**

My question was, "Where is the new chalk infill being sourced, and in what form (ie blocks, rubble, granules) is it being introduced to the tunnels and shafts?" English Heritage's reply, in a private email (not a public reply as it should have been to their 'Ask the Experts' link below) was -

Dear LS - thank-you for your query

We have identified the chalk used in the construction of Silbury as being from the Holywell Nodular Chalk Member of the Middle Chalk Formation and probably the Zig Zag Chalk Member of the Lower Chalk Formation.

We have found exposures of both Members at the Beggars Knoll Quarry near Westbury and this is the source for the chalk which will be used to infil (sic) the Hill.

The chalk will be crushed on site to a suitable size.

I hope this is helpful.

best regards from the Silbury project team"

Redundant hyphen in line one. Spelling mistake in line four. No capital, no full stop in last line. Meaningless gobbledygook in lines two, three and five. General lack of clarity leading to the impression that English Heritage are not only running late on their Silbury updates and Ask the Experts link they're also running scared. EH, you aint seen nothin' yet.

** http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.17513
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Sentient Silbury: A lithic laxative?
May 22, 2007, 01:28
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/Silbury_Hill_web_update_01.pdf

"With the tunnel emptying itself we have found that:"

Is this why they're called voids? Sorry; it made oi laff.

Peace

Pilgrim

X
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 22, 2007, 07:43
Littlestone wrote:
Nor have English Heritage answered the question I sent their 'Ask the Experts' link.**

My question was, "Where is the new chalk infill being sourced, and in what form (ie blocks, rubble, granules) is it being introduced to the tunnels and shafts?" English Heritage's reply, in a private email (not a public reply as it should have been to their 'Ask the Experts' link below) was -

Dear LS - thank-you for your query

We have identified the chalk used in the construction of Silbury as being from the Holywell Nodular Chalk Member of the Middle Chalk Formation and probably the Zig Zag Chalk Member of the Lower Chalk Formation.

We have found exposures of both Members at the Beggars Knoll Quarry near Westbury and this is the source for the chalk which will be used to infil (sic) the Hill.

The chalk will be crushed on site to a suitable size.

I hope this is helpful.

best regards from the Silbury project team"

Redundant hyphen in line one. Spelling mistake in line four. No capital, no full stop in last line. Meaningless gobbledygook in lines two, three and five. General lack of clarity leading to the impression that English Heritage are not only running late on their Silbury updates and Ask the Experts link they're also running scared. EH, you aint seen nothin' yet.

** http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.17513

I thought line five quite funny .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

May 22, 2007, 10:28
English Heritage's weekly update at http://www.english-heritage.or[...]Silbury_Hill_web_update_01.pdf no longer seems to be working.
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index