Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 118 19 20 21 22 23 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Ancient Sites In West Penwith
Jul 22, 2010, 18:50
Cheryl Straffon's "The Earth Mysteries Guide to Ancient Sites In West Penwith", which is a little A5 sized guidebook to stone circles, standing stones, wells, etc has been heavily revised and reprinted after being out of print for quite a few years. It now has all colour pics and new sections on courtyard settlments, hillforts, etc (it's lost the old section on crosses, which are obviously later in date anyway).

Available from Tourist Info (St Ives & Penzance), it's 52pp and only £5.95. Also available from the meyn mamvro website.

http://www.meynmamvro.co.uk/publicat.htm
faerygirl
412 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Jul 22, 2010, 19:00
Finished the book and it was great (if a little crazy at the end!)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2010, 01:01
Re: "John Aubrey and the Advancement of Learning"
Jul 22, 2010, 23:46
"John Aubrey and the Advancement of Learning" by William Poole is the accompanying book to the John Aubrey Exhibition at the Bodleian Library in Oxford.

The exhibition runs till 31st October and is highly recommended. John Aubrey is sometimes described as the 'first antiquarian' - famous for visiting (and drawing) Stonehenge and Avebury; he also managed to get to Boscawen-un, Stanton Drew, the Rollrights and Castlerigg - quite a feat when you remember the only form of cross country transport was walking or horsepower.

The book can be obtained at the exhibition and retails around £25

More details here
Bodleian Bookshop
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Prof Munakata's BM Adventure: Yukinobu Hoshino
Aug 28, 2010, 14:14
Professor Munakata’s British Museum Adventure by Yukinobu Hoshino

““THE Stonehenge megaliths have been stolen!?” So exclaims Professor Munakata at the outset of a rollicking adventure set at the British Museum, in the form of a manga, or Japanese cartoon.

“The first two episodes of “Professor Munakata’s British Museum Adventure”, in Japanese, are on display at the British Museum until October 23rd. The complete series will be published in English by the British Museum Press in March 2011.”

More here – http://www.economist.com/node/16886045?story_id=16886045&fsrc=rss
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Prof Munakata's BM Adventure: Yukinobu Hoshino
Aug 29, 2010, 08:26
Anyone have any ideas of how I might be able to get hold of a copy of anything by Uvedale Lambert?
(Local libraries don't have anything even for reference purposes)
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Prof Munakata's BM Adventure: Yukinobu Hoshino
Aug 29, 2010, 08:29
Resonox wrote:
Anyone have any ideas of how I might be able to get hold of a copy of anything by Uvedale Lambert?
(Local libraries don't have anything even for reference purposes)

Since posting..I have found two available books...but not one I'm after...typical!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Britain 3000 BC
Sep 01, 2010, 14:09
A beautiful day outside but I'm waiting in for that elusive butterfly aka 'a gas engineer'.

Am reading Britain 3000 BC by Rodney Castleden - this copy borrowed from North Wiltshire Libraries (Wootton Bassett) but I would very much like to own it. Perhaps considered by some a little out of date now as published 2003, it has clarified and helped me to order some of information I've absorbed since becoming interested in the ancient monuments and the people who built them - he starts by going through the time-line since the end of the last Ice Age up to 3000 BC.

Just read the chapter on 'House and Home' which very much focuses on Orkney. Not a text book, clearly written and illustrated, it is easy and enjoyable to read.

ISBN 0-7509-2693-7

Footnote: Partly due to being temporarily house-bound, I have just read a post by The Sea Cat over on Village Pump; also recommended reading (see Fuck Frank, part 2). I 100% agree - here's to public libraries and BOOKS.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 17:00
Not read this June, have to look out for a secondhand copy. I quite enjoyed Francis Pryor's "Britain BC", which may have a similar purpose and audience in mind from your description. Although Mr Pryor still comes across as rather pompous on Time Team, his writing is better than that imho.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 18:33
tjj wrote:
A beautiful day outside but I'm waiting in for that elusive butterfly aka 'a gas engineer'.

Missed this bit earlier - me too (bugger never showed up though, supposed to be replacing our metre). Could have had a nice day out somewhere!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 20:44
thesweetcheat wrote:
tjj wrote:

Missed this bit earlier - me too (bugger never showed up though, supposed to be replacing our metre). Could have had a nice day out somewhere!

I was at the Hurlers and Cheeswring on Bodmin Moor. Stunning day. Took some photos of some very interesting 'bowl shapes' cut into the rock with overflow channels allowing the water to flow from one to the other to a grooved channel allowing the water to drain out possibly into a storage bowl. Possible cup marks to the large rock balanced above it. Have loads of pix but no idea how to put them on here but then again somebody probably already has in the past!!
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 118 19 20 21 22 23 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index