Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2010, 09:48
Silbury Resolving the Enigma - Michael Dames
Jul 02, 2010, 08:57
Michael Dames has written a sequel to his first book on Silbury...

"According to English Heritage, 'Silbury's significance is obscure and we can only hope to understand it if we combine our scientific approach with a vision that sees beyond modern-day beliefs'. This book meets that need. Developed from the same author's acclaimed work The Silbury Treasure, here he sets new scientific findings made at Silbury within a framework of religious ideas, associated with the invention of agriculture. Silbury re-emerges as a gigantic pregnant image of the Neolithic harvest goddess, linked to animals reared at the nearby Palisades enclosures and to local landscape features, so delivering an annual First Fruits birth. The recent discovery of a Roman town, built around Silbury, indicates that the Romans merged their own corn goddess, Ceres, with the Neolithic deity. With a survey of Britain's evocative 'Mother Earth'-shaped hills, to which folklore has adhered, Dames also relates Celtic and English traditions of pagan worship to the Silbury prototype. Silbury: Resolving the Enigma is a scholarly, boldly argued, lucid, affectionate book. With more than 150 illustrations, the author demonstrates Silbury's relevance to current environmental concerns. His other books include The Avebury Cycle, Mythic Ireland, Merlin and Wales and Taliesin's Travels. 'This is a colourful, readable and fascinating personal reinterpretation of a unique monument. As a set of hypotheses it is credible, and as a piece of literature it is a joy. Michael Dames knows and loves our land itself at least as well as anybody else alive' - Professor Ronald Hutton, Bristol University."
faerygirl
412 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Jul 02, 2010, 18:12
Just started reading "The Cygnus Mystery" By Andrew Collings. References to alignments at Avebury and all the ancient monuments in Turkey tying in around the globe with a certain star. Bloomin' good too!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 02, 2010, 18:15
faerygirl wrote:
Just started reading "The Cygnus Mystery" By Andrew Collings. References to alignments at Avebury and all the ancient monuments in Turkey tying in around the globe with a certain star. Bloomin' good too!

Swans (cygnus ) need salt .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Silbury Resolving the Enigma - Michael Dames
Jul 03, 2010, 10:15
moss wrote:
Michael Dames has written a sequel to his first book on Silbury...

"According to English Heritage, 'Silbury's significance is obscure and we can only hope to understand it if we combine our scientific approach with a vision that sees beyond modern-day beliefs'. This book meets that need. "

So does this one although it expands beyond just Silbury. That's two books out this year involving Silbury with Jim Leary's out later.
http://newagetravel.com/sacred-places-journeys/avebury-and-the-goddess
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jul 03, 2010, 12:25
It occurs to me (apologies if this has been suggested before) that it would be a useful feature to be able to "add book" to particular areas of the country/counties. There are lots of really good regional books about prehistoric sites and this would enable someone who's new to an area to find out if there are any worth seeking out.

Just a thought.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 03, 2010, 13:10
thesweetcheat wrote:
It occurs to me (apologies if this has been suggested before) that it would be a useful feature to be able to "add book" to particular areas of the country/counties. There are lots of really good regional books about prehistoric sites and this would enable someone who's new to an area to find out if there are any worth seeking out.

Just a thought.

Good idea tsc.

Would love to arrange this (and the other long lists of poems and paintings) alphabetically but that would be a serious amount of work for someone. Be great if you could just hit a button that said 'Arrange Alphabetically' (maybe there is software out there that can do it).
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jul 03, 2010, 13:42
Littlestone wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Just a thought.

Good idea tsc.

Would love to arrange this (and the other long lists of poems and paintings) alphabetically but that would be a serious amount of work for someone. Be great if you could just hit a button that said 'Arrange Alphabetically' (maybe there is software out there that can do it).

Yes, that would be good too. Not volunteering though!
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 03, 2010, 14:07
thesweetcheat wrote:

Someone introduced me to Evernote last week because I was getting in a muddle with things. So I thought I'd make little regional 'notebooks', and then file, in this case articles, under them. But take for instance Wales with four archaeological units, i.e. four spaces/regions, and you could file books under there as well.. it gets a bit complicated for my brain after that; doing it on TMA would require a database of some description I think
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jul 03, 2010, 15:17
moss wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Someone introduced me to Evernote last week because I was getting in a muddle with things. So I thought I'd make little regional 'notebooks', and then file, in this case articles, under them. But take for instance Wales with four archaeological units, i.e. four spaces/regions, and you could file books under there as well.. it gets a bit complicated for my brain after that; doing it on TMA would require a database of some description I think

Hi Moss,

Yes, that's the kind of thing. If you had an "add book" option in each county/region, you would be able to at least search (crudely) by looking under the area you are interested in. You might find the same book added under more than one area though, unless you added it to the highest level:

Example:

Aubrey Burl's "Guide to Stone Circles of Britain, Ireland and Brittany" would need to be added to some kind of higher level general database, as it covers much of the area covered by TMA (actually, the papery TMA is the same thing).

Chris Barber's "Ancient Stones of Wales" would need to be added to Wales rather than being added to, say, Powys and then again under different bits of Wales.

Craig Weatherhill's "Cornovia" would come under Cornwall (and/or Isles of Scilly), but his "Belerion" would be under Land's End Peninsula.

Books about the Peak District would cross Derbyshire and South Yorks!

I admit it's complicated, but it could be a really useful tool. A format for posting would need to be agreed and covered with submission guidelines, etc. Only multiple editions that include major revision/updates should be considered.
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Silbury Resolving the Enigma - Michael Dames
Jul 03, 2010, 17:10
Spoke to Michael whilst i was in Avebury, he was really pushing the book.
I like his silbury hat. : 0
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index