Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 119 20 21 22 23 24 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: Britain 3000 BC
Sep 01, 2010, 21:16
Sanctuary wrote:
I was at the Hurlers and Cheeswring on Bodmin Moor. Stunning day. Took some photos of some very interesting 'bowl shapes' cut into the rock with overflow channels allowing the water to flow from one to the other to a grooved channel allowing the water to drain out possibly into a storage bowl. Possible cup marks to the large rock balanced above it. Have loads of pix but no idea how to put them on here but then again somebody probably already has in the past!!

lucky you!

There's some info here about posting pics:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/submission_guidelines/
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Sep 01, 2010, 21:32
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
I was at the Hurlers and Cheeswring on Bodmin Moor. Stunning day. Took some photos of some very interesting 'bowl shapes' cut into the rock with overflow channels allowing the water to flow from one to the other to a grooved channel allowing the water to drain out possibly into a storage bowl. Possible cup marks to the large rock balanced above it. Have loads of pix but no idea how to put them on here but then again somebody probably already has in the past!!

lucky you!

There's some info here about posting pics:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/submission_guidelines/

Probably not the best thread to have a chat but thanks for your comments tsc ... British Gas eh! What a shower, don't get me started.

Sanctuary, your day out sounded sublime, a perfect day for it I should think. With regard to uploading photos it really is important they are sized within certain parameters; you can either re-size them on your computer or alternatively make sure your camera is on the correct setting. I look forward to seeing some of your photies soon.

Now, back to books!
Resonox
604 posts

Sep 02, 2010, 09:55
thesweetcheat wrote:
tjj wrote:
A beautiful day outside but I'm waiting in for that elusive butterfly aka 'a gas engineer'.

Missed this bit earlier - me too (bugger never showed up though, supposed to be replacing our metre). Could have had a nice day out somewhere!

OT still...any gas engineer worth his salt or ACS for that matter,whether private company or British Gas(Transco)..especially the latter(who usually change meters), should phone ahead to inform any waiting customer of delays and/or cancellations...You are both eligible for a cash voucher as recompense for inconvenience as this procedure seems to have been ignored...I'd advise you to apply for this now stating times of promised appointment and non-appearance of said engineers.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Books of possible interest
Sep 02, 2010, 17:45
A little less gassing please ; -)

Thanks.

LS
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2010, 23:58
OT: Compensation Culture
Sep 02, 2010, 22:56
Resono wrote:

OT still...any gas engineer worth his salt or ACS for that matter,whether private company or British Gas(Transco)..especially the latter(who usually change meters), should phone ahead to inform any waiting customer of delays and/or cancellations...You are both eligible for a cash voucher as recompense for inconvenience as this procedure seems to have been ignored...I'd advise you to apply for this now stating times of promised appointment and non-appearance of said engineers.

...and thus the burden for any "compensation" will be passed on to the rest of the customer base - who had nothing to do with this - by way of increases in payments. I was once on a train from Plymouth to York that was delayed because someone had sadly decided that their stay here was at an end; the TOC had to go through the train with forms for everyone who wanted to claim for a delay that was no fault of the TOC. Life; what's it for?

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Resonox
604 posts

Re: OT: Compensation Culture
Sep 03, 2010, 04:45
Pilgrim wrote:
Resono wrote:

...and thus the burden for any "compensation" will be passed on to the rest of the customer base - who had nothing to do with this - by way of increases in payments. I was once on a train from Plymouth to York that was delayed because someone had sadly decided that their stay here was at an end; the TOC had to go through the train with forms for everyone who wanted to claim for a delay that was no fault of the TOC. Life; what's it for?

Peace

Pilgrim

X

The rule/promise is in the system although there is no obligation to claim but the option to do so is there and it is there to prevent further wasting of time...which in effect saves money.
Not everyone enjoys wasting a day(or even half a day),sometimes losing wages(for which the voucher probably wouldn't cover ) waiting for someone to break an appointment without any word of explanation or apology.If the rest of the customer base feel this is wrong they should complain vociferously to any service offering "compensation"...
That said, I was only trying to be helpful to two fellow posters(OT I admit)who both claimed to have suffered uncalled for inconvenience...and if you can't help your fellow man/woman in some small way...ah well, life has less meaning
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Isles of Scilly guides
Sep 06, 2010, 19:16
While down in Cornwall this year, I looked out for any archaeology gazetteers to Scilly. Here were three I found:

"Visitor's Guide To Archaeology in Scilly" - Luke Over, illust. J.F. Crussell (A.H. Read & Son, 1974). Although some of the archaeology is a little outdated, this is a nice little A5 size guidebook, divided into an overview of general history and then an island by island gazetteer, with suggested trails for exploring.

"Ancient Monuments of the Isles of Scilly" - Dept of the Environment Official Handbook, B.H. St. J. O'Neil (originally published 1949, third ed 1983). A chronogical overview, 36pp, b&w illustrations/photos.

"Scilly's Archaeological Heritage" - Jeanette Ratcliffe & Charles Johns (Historic Environment Unit, Cornwall CC 2003). Excellent little guidebook, 55pp. General overview and then island by island gazetteer. £4.50 from the Tourist Info in Hugh Town, St Mary's.
Resonox
604 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2010, 08:57
Piltdown Man - Miles Russell
Sep 07, 2010, 05:50
A book I found utterly fascinating was
"Piltdown Man: The Secret Life Of Charles Dawson"
....by Miles Russell.
How Dawson got away with being a forger,plagiarist and even swindler for so long is astounding.Having said that he was undoubtedly a genius in his own right...like they say...one lab accident away from being a super-villain!!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: John Allegro
Sep 17, 2010, 15:44
"The book was the culmination of twenty years’ study of Semitic and proto-Semitic languages. Allegro hoped it would illuminate the origins of thought, language and religion. People should then be able to better understand where they came from, shed the trappings of religion, and take true responsibility for what they did to each other and their world."

More here - http://johnallegro.org/main/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=15&MMN_position=16:4

Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd; First edition, second printing edition (May 18, 1970).
ISBN-10: 0340128755
ISBN-13: 978-0340128756
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Early Man in North-East Yorkshire
Sep 20, 2010, 20:41
- by Frank Elgee. Rather lovely book from 1930, big hardback thing with illustrations of beakers and jet beads, etc.
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 119 20 21 22 23 24 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index