42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Re: You too can leave your Tat inside Silbury Hill
Mar 03, 2007, 14:56
This is my comnent on this from the Druid Network forum:

"Okay, I've been thinking about this one and I must say that I have one suggestion as to what should go into that hill, in order to honour it:

CHALK

A few decades ago Druids used to be permitted to leave small burials of the ashes of fellow druids in and around Stonehenge (I will find a reference for this if required). That idea would now be abhorrent, I hope, to all Pagans.

How is this different?

We didn't build it.

We honour it by attempting to return it to as near as possible to the state in which it was built OR leaving it alone.

Yes our attmept to do the former can be misguided. See Newgrange and Waylands Smithy for sites that have had this argument advanced about them, though personally I think WS is pretty damn close to its original form.

This however is BLATANT anachronism. We know of no objects being placed within Silbury, so who the hell are we to leave anything in it other than the same materials it is knows to have been built with?

This is a can of worms that EH should NOT be opening. The idea of a ritual is lovely, but anything added to the hill is going to cause real problems for a lot of people.

Why not simply ask those present to add the final cahlk to the hill or to pour in water from a chalice etc? That would be moving and fitting."

That last idea of mine would be a beautiful thing to happen in my view.

Is Heritage Action onto this, in case this notion goes any further?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index