You too can leave your Tat inside Silbury Hill

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

You too can leave your Tat inside Silbury Hill
Mar 03, 2007, 14:21
"English Heritage are finally starting work on Silbury Hill, and have asked if Pagans would like to make ritual at the opening or closing of the hill, and whether they wanted any artefacts placed within the hill before it is sealed.

Terry Dobney appears to be sorting something out (the fellow known as the archDruid of Avebury, though I'm not convinced he takes the title very seriously), However, if you would like to send the information out through the various Pagan networks, I am sure this would be useful.

If you come across any folk who don't want to work through Terry, please contact Carole Owen, a local EH officer. She can be reached on 01179750714 or carole.owen@ english-heritage .org.uk. All requests must be made by the end of March."
-----------------
This was sent to me by various pagans.
sigh, I feel another long Rant coming on........
PeteG
dee
1955 posts

Re: You too can leave your Tat inside Silbury Hill
Mar 03, 2007, 14:36
Personally, I dont think ANYONE should be placing ANYTHING inside Silbury......
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 14:46
dee wrote:
Personally, I dont think ANYONE should be placing ANYTHING inside Silbury......

Ditto
Cursuswalker
Cursuswalker
597 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 14:56
This is my comnent on this from the Druid Network forum:

"Okay, I've been thinking about this one and I must say that I have one suggestion as to what should go into that hill, in order to honour it:

CHALK

A few decades ago Druids used to be permitted to leave small burials of the ashes of fellow druids in and around Stonehenge (I will find a reference for this if required). That idea would now be abhorrent, I hope, to all Pagans.

How is this different?

We didn't build it.

We honour it by attempting to return it to as near as possible to the state in which it was built OR leaving it alone.

Yes our attmept to do the former can be misguided. See Newgrange and Waylands Smithy for sites that have had this argument advanced about them, though personally I think WS is pretty damn close to its original form.

This however is BLATANT anachronism. We know of no objects being placed within Silbury, so who the hell are we to leave anything in it other than the same materials it is knows to have been built with?

This is a can of worms that EH should NOT be opening. The idea of a ritual is lovely, but anything added to the hill is going to cause real problems for a lot of people.

Why not simply ask those present to add the final cahlk to the hill or to pour in water from a chalice etc? That would be moving and fitting."

That last idea of mine would be a beautiful thing to happen in my view.

Is Heritage Action onto this, in case this notion goes any further?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 15:05
thats a good solution CW.
I know some people want Tim Sebastions ashes deposited inside but I don't see why Silbury should be turned into anyone's memorial.
Having known Tim for many years I don't think he would have supported the idea.
If pagans/druids want to do a ritual over pieces of chalk which are then placed inside I have no problem with that.
PeteG
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 15:13
Cursuswalker your attitude, as a Druid, is brilliant.

I am perfectly sympathetic to all Pagan traditions but this makes me feel sharply anti them - and its not their fault, its EH's. It's a touch of "let's suck up to certain groups" that they have exhibited before. As you have recognised, it's totally misplaced, a form of badly thought out political correctness that will actually rebound and cause resentment towards the very groups they're trying to ingratiate themselves with. What bloody planet are they on to get this so wrong? Apart from anything else they have a statutory duty to educate - and here they are implying the old chestnut that Druids built the place (as well as Stonehenge!) i think we should campaign for a Women's Institute knitting pattern to be put in there as the connection is equal. Prats.

Yes, we should campaign for leaving nothing in there but at the same time try to make it crystal clear this is in no way anti-Druid despite EH's fatuous attempt to cause them hassle. £30K a year to make prattish decisions. Nice work if you can get it.
slumpystones
769 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 15:32
Disgraceful idea.

But here are a few suggestions...

A pay-and-display machine from Avebury.
Jade Goody.
A video of Atkinson's bloopers.
slumpystones
769 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 15:36
I applaud your stand, a sensible idea in the face of such absurdity.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 15:47
Well for the great marjority of us who love Silbury Hill and who are not Pagans, this is a somewhat undemocratic decision by EH!! can we add our view to a decision made by the guardians of our monuments, who do not own them but are only the caretakers of them. Agree with Cursuswalker, should anything be placed inside let it be natural, chalk or flint. Religious beliefs are difficult enough without having government bodies interfering with them - famous last words...
I actually followed the Druid procession around Avebury on Imbolc, not many there, and the stopping places were by the trees, and this seemed fitting and proper. The reason why not many are there is because of a certain amount of strife between them all, so therefore if they factionalise how do you encompass all their needs?
Silbury really doesnt need any "time capsules" from our age, it should be restored back as near as can be to its original state, it belongs to the people who built it... my rant over Pete..
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 15:57
Why not simply ask those present to add the final chalk to the hill or to pour in water from a chalice etc? That would be moving and fitting.

Well said CW - anything else would be in contravention of accepted conservation practices.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index