When Silbury is tunnelled

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Tilting the World: an open letter to Julian
Jun 01, 2005, 08:34
> and what would be the problem that? too good for you then?

Classic! Keep 'em coming! You're a hoot!

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Hive Aid
Jun 01, 2005, 09:17
VBB,
"Nigel does do a reasonable Elvis swivel when he is in the cereal aisle of Safeways and is trying to make it to canned goods against the cross-flow on a Saturday morning, but he can't sing !"

You may well laugh in your cheap fashion, but as the vice chairman of the Cardiff Students Folk Club 1964/5 I know all about keeping an audience enraptured.

As for the tangent in the rest of this thread I think there's a germ of an excellent idea in Littlestone's suggestion, and the tangent confirms it's power. Who can doubt that Silbury's best interest, whatever it is, is best served by it being in the public spotlight, or that lack of transparency has been the whole problem from the start?

I am reminded of the words of my schoolfellow, John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton (1834-1902) –

""Everything secret degenerates; …..nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity"
jimit
jimit
1053 posts

Jun 01, 2005, 09:42
Certainly gets my vote, a brilliant idea. It IS possible to be concerned about more than one problem at a time so ignore the carpers.

Trolls seem to be like busses.....they arrive in groups ;)

Jim.
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jun 01, 2005, 10:19
from nigelswift:

"Who can doubt that Silbury's best interest, whatever it is, is best served by it being in the public spotlight, or that lack of transparency has been the whole problem from the start?"

I concur fully, Nigel, and I think it would be interesting to hear from BrigantesNation and the other Thornborough Festival organisers to investigate the nuances and niceties of getting something off the ground for Silbury - under a HA banner perhaps?

Peace

Pilgrim

X
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Jun 01, 2005, 10:33
maybe you could have Thornborough and Silbury concerts on at the same time, with Phil Collins taking Concorde between them?! ;)

Cheers
Andy S
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Jun 01, 2005, 11:04
First thing you need is a venue. If its a farm field its a lot more organising. Best to be approached by a hundred musicians insisting you put on a festival - as happened with me.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 01, 2005, 11:11
The problem with Silbury, with regard to a festival, is it's in Wiltshire. The Stonehenge free festivals were brutally stopped by the police and they are still paranoid about any mention of a festival. That's why there are severe restrictions at Avebury at summer solstice time. Pressure is applied by the police on any landowner who appears to be sympathetic to a gathering on their land.

Baz
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jun 01, 2005, 11:19
I know someone in Hampshire who has a field. And he puts on his own annual festival... A legal one at that...

I may have said too much... ;o)

G x
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: Hang on Hang on !
Jun 01, 2005, 11:21
The issues at Thornborough are clear, that is not the case with Silbury.

What are you trying to achieve ?

Save Silbury - from who or what ?

If you want the hill to stay as it is now and nothing be done until the wider public are aware of the situation and can debate and have a say then make this clear.

If not this what do you want - do you want to stop the rebore of the tunnels - what ?

VBB
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Hang on Hang on !
Jun 01, 2005, 11:46
What I want, VBB, is unimportant. As with the rule of law, it is the rule of conservation that must be applied.
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index