272 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Circles under churches
Aug 14, 2007, 06:12
Hi lilydee05

Thank you for your fascinating post on the Alton Priors church. I was particularly interested in the double circle carving that you saw above one of the bricked up doors (I've never noticed that!) and wonder if anyone can shed any more light on the meaning of that design. Though I think the Alton Priors church is thought to be Norman perhaps it replaced an earlier Saxon one (as at Avebury) retaining some of the features of the earlier church. Were you able to go inside and look at the sarsen stones under the two trapdoors? There are also some impressive sarsens under the buttresses of Pewsey and Clyffe Pypard churches that you may be interested in.

Thank you for your offer of help regarding the Alton Priors church - you've made me want to go back there again soon so I'll try and do that sometime this month (and also now take a look at North Newnton which I haven't yet visited).

Welcome to TMA by the way. Quite a few of us here get together in Avebury each year so hope to meet up with you there one day.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index