love

Moth
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Waden hill
Nov 23, 2004, 14:46
Nice pic & note Pete

As the eds have been so kind & open minded, if we're gonna do it properly it needs to have a proper page tho doesn't it? Mebbe not as a 'full-blown' site of its own, but how about as a subsite? Mebbe of Silbury?

love

Moth
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 23, 2004, 15:05
It's odd that such a mysterious mound should have been neglected for so long. Flytipping in this kind of situation would be deterred, up here, by big concrete blocks on the kerbside. At least additive vandalism is preferable to subtractive.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 23, 2004, 15:05
That'd be great, if permissable. There's a particularly good aerial shot of Pete's, subject to his permission, that would show it's proximity to Silbury really well.

I'll post some brief text emphasising that it's an unknown quantity and included here as an exception, for a reason.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 23, 2004, 15:10
"At least additive vandalism is preferable to subtractive".
I know what you mean, but this is a case where profile is all (if anything) so to see it gradually being piled with concrete blocks and garbage and then vegetation covering it and swallowing it into the original is very upsetting.
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Nov 23, 2004, 15:19
Careful with the little pond - there'll not be many left around there. From Pete's photos it seems quite clear that the profiles of Silbury and Silbaby are really similar.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Waden hill?
Nov 23, 2004, 16:16
I agree with Moth. Put it up as a site in itself with a grid reference etc.

K x
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Silbaby -a plea.
Nov 23, 2004, 16:19
"Modern Antiquarians are allowed to (re)discover things"

Total agreement.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Nov 23, 2004, 16:20
Incidentally Pete, I'd thoroughly recommend upgrading your browser to Mozilla. Netscape 7.2 is a shaky old browser.

Having said that, I'm not sure how well Mozilla copes with TMA posting. I'll give it a go.

K x
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Waden hill?
Nov 23, 2004, 16:21
Aye.

Especially if Pete is willing to let the aerial photo be used.
At ground level, Silbaby does look like an extreme enigma, but that shot really shows up the fact that there's something there worthy of serious investigation.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index