Avebury stone 78 problem

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Avebury stone 78 problem
Jul 10, 2004, 17:31
Thank you doc - I'm neither a troll nore a lunatic (at least I don't think so ;-) but I do care passionately about Avebury - its conservation/restoration and its future accessibility. Pete's original post (and I do understand where he's coming from and do empathize with him to a degree) struck me as an awful case of appeasment to the NT. Pete and Mike Pitts are concerned with the restoration of one stone but I am not - I want to see as much of the Avebury Circle and the Avebury Avenues re-erected as possible; that might be wishful thinking but that doesn't make it any-the-less worth striving for.

PS Apologies for the delay in replying to this topic - computer died on me on Monday and I'm only now getting back to normal.
Ishmael
683 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 17:41
bollux
http://www.saunalahti.fi/sakarit/kerro-lisaa/troll.jpg
andy worthington
25 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 14:34
Hi all,
Belatedly joining in the stone 78 discussion, just to mention that I agree wholeheartedly with Pete about keeping a clear distinction between what we might wish for (Keiller Revisited) and what we can realistically expect (the reerection of Stone 78 if the Trust and nervous Avebury residents can be persuaded that it won't lead to a massive increase in visitor numbers - which they don't want - or hysterical calls for all the fallen and buried stones to be reerected - which they very definitely don't want).
Appeasement is not the issue. In the end, the Trust will do - or not do - exactly what it wants.
All the best,
Andy
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 18:47
Andy, organizations like the National Trust do what they want to do because they are either appeased or left unopposed.

To change the world is not difficult - to change one's mind is much harder.
Ishmael
683 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 18:54
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/show.php?show=message&id=214425
third degree
137 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 22:47
greetings....

has everyone forgotten that the stones have stood LONG before the village was 'installed'????..in a perfect world ALL the village would be totally relocated and the circle rebuilt....lets start with the church in work inwards :)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 22:38
I'd say you were suffering from a mild case of paranoia. Recommened remedy - head for the mountains. First troll you meet up there sit down and offer it half your lunch-box. Then lie back and talk about the weather -or even the Honours System. Let the troll open up (could be that it needs to get a few things of its chest before the real work begins). The real work of course is your road back to harmony. You see, trolls are really there to help people but, because they don't look very nice, they're often believed to be a bit malicious; this really is not the case. Sure trolls are a bit scary but they do cut to the chase. You know exactly were you stand with a troll - it's either going to eat you or help you. In the end though it's your choice because, although trolls are a bit scary, they do have quite a delicate palate.

Littlestone has spent a lot of his life researching troll habitat and would be more than happy to advise you on their movements and mating rituals (there are some quite scary trolls in the neighborhood of the drude however and some extra remuneration would be requested in this area).

Meanwhile, be at peace, be happy and please do consider adopting a troll at Christmas time ;-).
Ishmael
683 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 23:08
bollux!
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/show.php?show=message&id=214425
you even more of a wanker than I first thought!
Ishmael
683 posts

Lets rebuild avebury
Jul 13, 2004, 23:21
and start with Stan Blakes house which once stood opposite the Red Lion.
We could dig up the buried stones that were recently found and rebuild his thatched cottage from the the busted frustrums of the stones and make Avebury look like it did in the 1800's!
Well its a start.
Else we could could go back to the Mesolithic and plant tree's everywhere and bury all the stones.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Lets rebuild avebury
Jul 14, 2004, 07:32
That's what we are doing at Thornborough - but actually, taking it back to the pre glacial state by removing the overlying gravel. The lakes left behind serve to represent the post glacial flooding. A key part of this concept to to remove all of the mess left behind by man after the ice age - Neolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age remains all have to go.

Perhaps once we are finished, you'd like to borrow our stone crusher - much more affective than heat treating the stones to get rid of them.

That's humans for you - always leaving litter lying around - why do we never think of future generations.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index