Avebury stone 78 problem

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Avebury stone 78 problem
Jul 04, 2004, 22:09
News today reached me that the AARG (Avebury Archaeological Research Group) had spent 3 hours of the latest meeting discussing Mike Pitts' proposal to re-erect stone 78.
He has been given Scheduled Monuments Consent BUT
and this is a big BUT, it now lies in the hands of the National Trust.
There is every chance that the trust will say NO if there are any more letters and emails demanding that the newly found buried stones are to be erected.
The trust will use these demands as ammunition against Mike to say that "Re-erecting a stone will bring in too many visiters that the village & the trust cannot cope with."
Please people, do not start any kind of campaign to re-erect ALL the Avebury stone else we will loose the chance of seeing ONE stone being restored in our lifetime.
Think about it eh?...
PeteG
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Avebury stone 78 problem
Jul 04, 2004, 22:24
Bollocks
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 22:26
Great intelligent reply.
If you fuck it all up for Mike then we know who to blame
don't we?
PeteG
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 22:28
Yes, we blame the people who have been poncing around over this problem for the last fifty years.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 22:31
No. I will blame people like you and ric who bang on about
unrealistic projects that will never see the light of day.
I was going to announce details of this years Avebury dig
but I now feel it's best to keep my mouth shut for the time being.
This forum has gone to pot again....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 22:47
G, Pete, try not to take things so personally. We're all working towards the same goal - just have different ways of getting there.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 22:56
>We're all working towards the same goal

no we aren't.
So long folks and thanks for all the fish
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 23:06
Walking away from a debate is a little like suicide - you deny others the right to reply.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 23:07
"We shouldn't re-erect the stones because too many people will come, and that will spoil things"

the above to kernelise what you say Pete?

I made my first visit to Avebury earlier this year, thanks to the relocation of Tim and Lesley. It was 'king brilliant to be there, to see what I'd only read about previosly, to meet you and other megalithomaniacs.

Prior to the visit, I had a romantic notion that all these old rocks had stood for millenia, a mute witness to all manner of change.

I found that there would have been no Avebury if it hadn't been for the efforts of dedicated antiquarians. I was lucky to have such an informative and enthusiatic guide.

We walked across a field, ignorant to the stones until the knapped flints were pointed out.

Well, I'm a nobody. Not in any self-denigrating sense, but in the sense that I have no strong religious belief. I was merely interested, because I accumulate knowledge, as a sponge accumulates water. People like me cause damage just by our presence. Our cars wear the roads, our feet wear th banks, our money warps the local economy, even if we only buy a postcard.

Yet I AM interested. The stones are the nearest thing that I, a confirmed atheist, come to spirituality.

I think that what I'm trying to say is that Avebury is a special place, and that if there's one part of England that should be preserved, then Avebury is it. But I also accept that such a small habitation needs protection from erosion, both physical and cultural.

My answer lies in such things as the PeteG 360 degree panoramic wossnames, and the internet.

No. It can't compete.

Yes. It will draw people in on it's own account.

Yet if you take the argument back 100 years, then you'd have a peaceful avebury with no stones.

I don't think that would be what anyone wants either.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 23:32
Pete, the truth is, to get anywhere with a proposal would involve a horrendous amount of preparatory work and then a government decision on the basis of many inputs, as Mike will tell you.
If anyone wants to do that, they can, and by then they'll hardly be regarded as threatening, and I've no reason to even think that a lot of the establishment would necessarily be opposed to it, they haven't said so, even if you think NT would be.

So please don't walk away - the idea of a DIY job (and that it would be just a small fine!!!!!!! and that anyone here would pay it!!!!!!!) will hardly be taken seriously by NT or anyone else. Put it down to the lateness of the hour.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index