The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Megalithic Top Trumps

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Re: Megalithic Top Trumps
Nov 12, 2003, 22:11
Oh bloody hell. I just won without losing a single card. I had no idea I was so well informed about Grimsby players, even if half of them did used to play for Tranmere.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Voice of Reason
Nov 13, 2003, 09:09
Pebs - we have SO much in common!!!
J
x
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 09:22
> How near the OS coordinates are from reality (cos we is better map readers)

Not in our family you ain't.

:-)#

Lou can use nautical charts like a goddess, but her map reading is very variable.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 09:48
"(cos we is better map readers)"

gasp!!!
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 09:59
Aye, go on then, we can put them criteria on the cards. See - you DO want a pack!!!! Tsk.

Map reading's a non-gender issue BTW. The only people of either sex who can't do it are just crap, coz it's a piece of piss.

love

Moth
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Voice of Reason(?)
Nov 13, 2003, 11:37
Surely it just depends how your brain is wired.

I'm very good at mapping things in my mind (modest aren't I), but my dearest Louise simply isn't.
It's one of very few areas where I have the edge. Most other stuff she trounces me at.

K x
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 11:50
It is the wiring, so it is said.
Supposedly, females have less parietal lobe space given over to 3-D spatial awareness than blokes. That's the excuse my missus rolls out.
Mind you, that doesn't ever stop her from criticising my map reading, she just claims that as a bloke, I should never make any mistakes.
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 12:03
Funnily enough, Lou is great with charts, so perhaps there's something in your theory (charts involving very little of the second dimension).
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 12:09
So I've been told!!

.o0O0o.
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 12:10
This difference (3-D spatial awareness) has been observed in experiments. The same experiments also showed that women had better language and multi-tasking skills.

It's interesting to note the difference in abilities between myself and my wife. She is much better at remembering a route and recognising landmarks, but I have a better awareness of which way I need to go if we're in unfamiliar territory. I can usually find my way around a strange town or city (even one way streets) without a map (though it helps to have one) and for some unknown reason I always seem to get lucky with parking spaces.

If we're in the car and one is navigating for the other, we have a big problem because my wife is a primary school teacher and when she teaches children about left and right she has to use the "wrong" hands because she is facing the class. When she indicates left to a child, she has to use her right hand. She will tell me, "turn left here" and when I do, she says "no, sorry, I meant right". If she's driving and I say "turn left", she will turn right. Unfortunately she doesn't get it wrong all the time otherwise I could just transpose what she says. Anyway, it's most confusing and we often end up visiting places we never intended to.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index