Happy families would work well.

love

Moth
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Re: Voice of Reason(?)
Nov 13, 2003, 12:18
> She is much better at remembering a route and recognising landmarks...

Not the case with me and Lou. I remember routes very well, but on the whole she doesn't. Even if I haven't been to a place since I was a kid, once we get close I switch into autopilot (it's not quite that reliable, but you get my drift).

The amazing this is I have an appalling short term memory for most things. I'm really bad at names, numbers, appointments etc but spatially I'm pretty good. In most other respects my brain is like Swiss cheese!

:-)#

K x
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 12:35
Actually, "remembering routes" is not exactly an accurate description. It's more like she remembers waypoints. She'll say "I remember this place, we need to turn left here", which of course means we need to turn right.

Like you my short term memory is poor, especially for names. Strangely, though, I have an amazing ability to remember numbers, credit cards, phone numbers, etc. I can quote PI to about 16 decimal places, for what good it does me.
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: Megalithic Top Trumps
Nov 13, 2003, 12:40
Or Hide and Seek! We could hide something at a site than get people to... Oh hold on I think that's been done already

;-)

.o0O0o.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 13:13
'Fraid Wiltshire Constabulary hold the copyright on 'Hide and Seek' games at ancient monuments :)
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 13:15
What a wicked idea!
Yali*
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 13:17
Remembering routes makes sense in terms of differential 3-D awareness. It implies a sort of linear causal relationship. Also it's more objective, whereas 3-D stuff like map reading is a bit more abstract. I'm sure the level of spatial abstraction is supposed to be an important factor. I'm sure there's whole whopping bodies of research on the subject.

I'd totally agree that the exploring new routes is more of a male thing, whereas remembering old ones is something my dearest wifey is much better at than I. This holds true when going to the shops as well as looking for prehistoric sites.

There again, it could be that she trusts her memory more than my map reading, even if this is true, I rest smug in the knowledge that my increased 3-D awareness does mean I can fit all the stuff in the boot easier than she can.

I'll trade off some memory for the ability to read maps anyday
(Darn! I already have done, but I forgot that I had!)
Kammer
Kammer
3083 posts

Nov 13, 2003, 16:49
> ...I can fit all the stuff in the boot easier than she can.

So true.

:-)#
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index