Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: What's Cope got against Gong?
Feb 06, 2003, 19:49
wot like no you don't or something?

Nope I think that lp is dashed great , pretty funky etc. Like the jazz touches, must get hold of the other 2 of the trilogy too.
I've got Camembert and that nectar cheapo best of thing which seems pretty good in most places.

Always LOved that 'TRied So hard' track always wanted to cover it, but never got a band together.

Stevo
Np Elo 1st First LIght 30th anniversary edition Queen of THe Hours
PaulB
188 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 01:18
I can't say that I'm too familar with Gong's back catalogue - but I'm tempted to check it out purely on the wonderful production abilities of former member Mike Howlett.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 09:27
hoorah for cacophony!

Noisy Squid
x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 09:30
you've just reminded me about Shapeshifter and Zero to Infinity - the recent Gong albums which aren't bland jazzy workouts. Fantastic stuff, pretty much up there with the earlier trilogy.

Note : it was Moonie who told me these were worth listening to in the first place - I'd given up on Gong after Shamal and Gazeuse which I wasn't too keen on. Shapeshifter and Zero to Infinity continue the story of Zero where Flying Teapot/Angels Egg/You left off.

Fohat Digs Holes in Squid
x
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 10:17
You lot am mad! nothing to do with the thread just a statement of fact!!

Gong live 77 wehey yeah - excellent. Camembert Elctrique, gonna haveter listen to it again, remember liking You and Angels Egg - but that was in tripping out me 'ead period - so no idea what it was really like.

Since you lot went on about it I got miles davis- bitches brew from the library and listened to it. Me mates at work are now teasing me with their flight of the bumble bee trumpet impersonations. aaaargh - but i have a secret weapon agartha - i will deploy it loudly
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 10:29
get hold of "Orthodox Jazz" by Musica Transonica and play it loudly to your workmates - that'll sort em out (visions of workmates running screaming from the office with blood running from their ears...)

Jazz Squid
(nice)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 10:44
I have sung "When the Villa go marching in" at matches, which I understand is based on an old jazz song.

Sung with much irony I might add.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 11:14
it's based on a traditional Southampton song isn't it?

Saint Squid
x
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 11:55
You'd have to ask Nat.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 07, 2003, 18:59
yup...when the trilogy became a quintergy! And Zero becomes a woman. Its cool stuff!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index