8769 posts

Re: What's Cope got against Gong?
Feb 06, 2003, 16:33
yup, this has been discussed before. Check out the threads entitled :

Julian hates Gong? NO!

Hare Hare Ladies Lavatory

Belated Gong praisage

Gong - Camambert Eclectic

in particular. Try clicking the "Search" button and entering "gong" to locate these threads. There's some interesting reading in there, and it is immediately obvious that quite a few of the folks round here are into Gong. Unlike Gorseddphungus it would seem...jazz drone eh Gorsedd? I think we've had discussions about jazz round here too...Miles Davis anyone?? or is it only hip to like jazz if it is the Julian Cope approved variety?

Squeezing Sponges Over Policemens Squids
x
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 16:45
Anything after You (except '77 Live...') makes me go ick, though. Generally it's turned into cold jazz-fusion stuff by then that makes me feel like I've just bitten into a crab apple and found the head-half of a maggot hanging out of it. Bleaurgh!

Angel's Egg is my silliest fave btw.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 16:49
If I dislike Gong and jazz (which I do) should I go for a long walk?
Myer
42 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 16:56
right, perhaps it is not as psychedelic stuff as Cosmic Jokers or Amon Duul or Ash Ra Temple (it seems to me that these are some kind of untouchables sacred cows over here!) but "You"works in the middle of the evening.
Myer
42 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 17:01
I would like to get into Continental Circus; It could be a bit exhausting labour to search for the extensive Mr. Allen´s sound world, though.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 17:02
I wouldn't always listen to everything Mr Cope says.

Gong are excellent. Quirky and Psych as the Severin man has said.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 18:45
long walk not obligatory!

I can understand ppl not liking Gong or jazz, truth be told. However, for me it is thus. I was brought up listening to jazz (me dad is a trumpet/cornet player), and Gong were the first band to completely space me out (aged 12). Can't shake those formative influences!

One thing though, jazz is a very broad genre, there must be SOMETHING in there you like Vybik!

Agree with LL re the post-You Gong albums btw, far too bland for my taste on the whole, and much more muso-jazz rather than the fun-impro-space-jazz of the earlier stuff.

Peace and Noise,
Squid
x
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 18:53
'You' is the most viscerally exciting of the three albums, worth the price of admission for 'Isle Of Everywhere', 'Master Builder' and 'A Sprinkling Of Clouds' alone. These are three long tracks with loads of dynamic thrills. The last named is a rock equivalent to Strauss' 'Alpine Symphony' - building slowly to an immense wall of sound and then slowly coming down again. When the drums thunder in halfway through it's just orgasmic. 'Flying Teapot' and 'Angels Egg' are both terrific albums, if not quite on that same level of intensity; the first is the most 'pop' of the three (i use that term VERY loosely), and the second the most jazzy - but make no mistake, these all go to make up the greatest rock concept of them all. My only warning goes towards Allen's spacekid humour which can grate at times. No matter, because the music's great.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 19:23
Well, personally I like jazz ( or at least, some of it) but not Gong. Only thing I've heard which clicked was about half of "Camembert Electrique" - the rest is too airy-fairy and lacking in edge for my tastes. Thought that "Here And Now"'s "Give And Take" album - made by the 77 line-up without Allen - was pretty good though. Maybe he's nt so indispensable as some fans think.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 06, 2003, 19:29
Hear hear. I love Gong (even the latter Allenless Gong stuff, though I concede it's another sort of Gongness altogther.). And the revitalised Daevid Allen i.e. 'proper Gong' is still doing top stuff on album and live too.
I imagine I've got trillions of albums loathed by Cope but I don't lose sleep over it ;-)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index