85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

10 track compilation - part 2
Jan 26, 2003, 05:09
6. Joga - Björk
Perhaps the most difficult decision to make... which Björk track? I mean, there's a part of me that wants to say "Hey, there's 10 tracks on Homogenic. Why not save the bother of all this compilation shenanigans, and just run off a copy of that?" But that'd be cheating. Eventually i settled on Joga to follow Heroes. Just cos it's the epic Björk song that i happen to be currently digging most.

7. Girls and Boys - Prince
There's gonna be a pretty full-on climax to the tape, so you want to kick back a bit on the last third and just get funky. Get down in a sweaty groove and shake your thang! Pretty much anything Prince did between 1982 and 90 can fulfill this requirement. After much deliberation, and despite feeling that i should really take something from "Around The World In A Day", i settled on this track from "Parade". Music best heard from beneath a shared duvet.

8. L.O.V.E. - Dreadzone
Keeping with the sweaty, sensual groove, it's about this point of the tape that you want 7 minutes of spacey dub. Am i right, or am i right? You've got yer sampled strings, yer bouncy bassline, some deliciously soft female vocals urging you to "love everything" and that generic ska-reggae piano loop that makes you feel like you're at Glastonbury in the mid 90s. This will leave a smile on the face.

9. Stay Human - Spearhead
You can't come back from 7 minutes of spacey dub with just any old track. The intensity has to be built up towards the climax of the tape, but without clashing with the dub vibe. I mean, you can't come in with loud jangly guitars after Dreadzone, y'know? There'd be blim-burns and coughing and all manner of stressful goings on. But Michael Franti knows what to do. He keeps the groove going and stays funky, but at the same time cranks it up a notch. Socially aware music you can shake your thang to!

10. The Overload - Talking Heads
This closes out the first album i ever bought. And what a last track! Low, growling, rumbling and dark. Byrne's voice and guitar combine to create a gorgeous drone, onto which the rest of the band paint a sinister, weird soundscape. All the while you can feel the unmistakable presence of Eno at the controls, lurking - almost tangibly - in each note. (as much as i adore The Cure's "Disintegration", this one track - 10 years earlier - makes that entire album almost redundant). Brooding music that lingers long after you've stopped listening to it. Hence the perfect close to the compilation.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index