10 tracks 2

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

10 track compilation - part 1
Jan 26, 2003, 05:08
with apologies to Nick Hornby, i thought i'd use this opportunity to waffle interminably about the process of making a 10 track mix tape. I dunno what effect i'm supposed to be having on the stranger to whom i'm giving the tape, but if it's just a "hey! look how good music can be!" compilation, then it'd probably run something like...

1. Cabinessence - The Beach Boys
What has *ever* sounded like this? Before or since? Nothing! That's what. Absolutely nothing. Just *what* are they doing with their voices? And how much is Brian Wilson the only person who could have produced this track? Open a tape with this and you are making a powerful statement of intent. You're saying: "Prepare for a soaring, epic journey through a sonic landscape far more magickal than anything you could ever imagine". Or, y'know, something like that, but marginally less poncey.

2. Summertime Rolls - Jane's Addiction
And once you've opened with a track like Cabinessence, you just gotta keep the 'soaring' vibe going. Check out the guitars here - sliding effortlessly halfway across the galaxy and back. Perry Farrell's voice, ragged and urgent, picks you up and makes you wish that every day could be spent lying round in sunlit meadows with the person you love. This is what music is all about.

3. Song To The Siren - Tim Buckley
Has the compilation started out too epic? I mean, where can you go after those opening tracks? Ah, but of course! I know; bring the tempo down and soften the vibe, but do it using the most gorgeous love song ever sung. How can you go wrong? When he sings "waiting to hold you" and his voice wavers just a bit... dear god... it's too perfect.

4. Working Class Hero - John Lennon
And then you bring out the big guns. Cos let's face it; if a random stranger asks you what 10 songs they need to hear, how can this NOT be on the list? "They keep you doped with religion and sex and TV / and you think you're so clever and classless and free / but you're still fuckin peasants as far as i can see". Sing *that* knowing everyone in the world is going to hear it, cos you've just emerged from the Beatles! Yes!

5. Heroes - David Bowie
There's what? Maybe 3 or 4 people who could possibly follow a full-on Lennon confessional without making you cringe at the sudden drop in intensity. And Bowie, it goes without saying, is one of them. There's a bewildering array to choose from once you've decided to go for a Bowie song - do you pick a relatively obscure track, like "The Prettiest Star" that you think more people should hear? Or go straight for the jugular and put on "Heroes"? Ultimately it's no contest.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index