Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

10 track compilation - part 2
Jan 26, 2003, 05:09
6. Joga - Björk
Perhaps the most difficult decision to make... which Björk track? I mean, there's a part of me that wants to say "Hey, there's 10 tracks on Homogenic. Why not save the bother of all this compilation shenanigans, and just run off a copy of that?" But that'd be cheating. Eventually i settled on Joga to follow Heroes. Just cos it's the epic Björk song that i happen to be currently digging most.

7. Girls and Boys - Prince
There's gonna be a pretty full-on climax to the tape, so you want to kick back a bit on the last third and just get funky. Get down in a sweaty groove and shake your thang! Pretty much anything Prince did between 1982 and 90 can fulfill this requirement. After much deliberation, and despite feeling that i should really take something from "Around The World In A Day", i settled on this track from "Parade". Music best heard from beneath a shared duvet.

8. L.O.V.E. - Dreadzone
Keeping with the sweaty, sensual groove, it's about this point of the tape that you want 7 minutes of spacey dub. Am i right, or am i right? You've got yer sampled strings, yer bouncy bassline, some deliciously soft female vocals urging you to "love everything" and that generic ska-reggae piano loop that makes you feel like you're at Glastonbury in the mid 90s. This will leave a smile on the face.

9. Stay Human - Spearhead
You can't come back from 7 minutes of spacey dub with just any old track. The intensity has to be built up towards the climax of the tape, but without clashing with the dub vibe. I mean, you can't come in with loud jangly guitars after Dreadzone, y'know? There'd be blim-burns and coughing and all manner of stressful goings on. But Michael Franti knows what to do. He keeps the groove going and stays funky, but at the same time cranks it up a notch. Socially aware music you can shake your thang to!

10. The Overload - Talking Heads
This closes out the first album i ever bought. And what a last track! Low, growling, rumbling and dark. Byrne's voice and guitar combine to create a gorgeous drone, onto which the rest of the band paint a sinister, weird soundscape. All the while you can feel the unmistakable presence of Eno at the controls, lurking - almost tangibly - in each note. (as much as i adore The Cure's "Disintegration", this one track - 10 years earlier - makes that entire album almost redundant). Brooding music that lingers long after you've stopped listening to it. Hence the perfect close to the compilation.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: 10 tracks 2
Jan 26, 2003, 10:05
Ever fallen in love... - The Buzzcocks
Heroes - Bowie (I'm with you on this one, Grufty)
Safe From Harm - Massive Attack
Mountains - Prince
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack (Gulp!)
The Earth Dies Screaming - UB40
Sleeping Gas - Teardop Explodes
Atmosphere - Joy Division
I Feel Love - Donna Summer
Space Shanty - Leftfield
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 11:52
Your Silent Face - New Order
Being Boiled - The Human League (Travelogue version)
Song From Under The Floorboards - Magazine
Outdoor Miner - Wire
Mother Sky - Can
Hero - Neu
24 Hours - Joy Division
I Found That Essence Rare - Gang of Four
Astronomy Domine - Pink Floyd (a bit of Syd!)
You Set The Scene - Love
Mungohead
16 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 15:56
Kenny Loggins - Footloose
The Power Station - The Heat is on
Phill Collins - Su Su Sudio
Kajagoogoo - Oh to be ah
Starship - We built this city
Europe - The Final Countdown
Midge Ure - If I was
Bon Jovi - Blaze of glory
Van Halen - Why can't this be love
Hoddle & Waddle - Diamond Lights

I've yet to hear back from any stranger I have given a tape to.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

I like!!!
Jan 26, 2003, 16:06
A good list, MonkeyBoy.

'Your Silent Face' = fave on the album, though 'Age of Consent' was played more as this was used as a wake up call when I was living in a house in Faversham.

'Being Boiled' = '78, synth pop's earliest 7"?

'Song From Under The Floorboards' = fave off 'Correct Use...' It was hearing Peel first play 'Shot By Both Sides' that really fired me up with music!

'Outdoor Miner' = Can never decide between this and 'Mannequin' for my fave Wire single.

Neu = Only recently turned onto these. I LOVE 'Neu! 75'

Joy Division & Gang of Four = Great, immensely influential bands. 'Damaged Goods' is one of my favourite ever 7" singles; three superb tracks! Oddly enough, I've never owned much by JD; friends have them all so I hear them there. Know everything inside out, though!

Have not heard
'Mother Sky' - Can
'Astronomy Domine' - Pink Floyd (a bit of Syd!)
or 'You Set The Scene' - Love,
though I dare say, they've got to be pretty immense to be up there with the rest of your list!

I like your list!
H.
:o)
Mungohead
16 posts

Cheers
Jan 26, 2003, 16:33
I thank you Howden. It's always nice to know that your tastes are appreciated by others.

I figured I'd have to have a couple of 60s tracks at the end, otherwise it would have been very late 70s post punk with a bit of Kraut. Also mother sky is over 13 minutes long, so it would take up a lot of tape time.

I think with a tape for a stranger you may have to choose the more good accessible tracks by a band rather than just your own personal fave - sometimes you have to think of others.

It is hard to choose between Age of Consent and Your Silent Face but I figured to put something out and out electronic sounding on it.

Cheers again.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Oops
Jan 26, 2003, 17:19
Didn't realise I was still logged in as that Mungo.

I only really use that other moniker whilst feeling a Coont. My mistake.
Ms W
94 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 19:37
sorry guys...i put this thread up and promptly went out and only just got back...i choose my 10 quickly...bout 5 mins...otherwise it would have taken me weeks!!

I think the thing with giving it to a stranger is that maybe its gving them an idea of u...not so much ur music taste...just what ur gving out...i dunno...praps me talkin bollox again..anyway my ten are:

silent poets - get ready
jan jelinek - moire
Beastie boys - Shake your rump
Gregory Issacs - Mr Cop
Eric and Rakim - Paid in full
DJ Vadim Feat Sarah Jones - Your revolution
Menelik - Tout baigne
Handsome Boy Modelling School - Rock and roll
Gil Scott Heron- The revolution will not be televised
Cypress Hill & Beastie Boys - Watcha Want
Ms W
94 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 19:39
great x-mal deutchland track!! haven't heard that for years....might even venture into the loft to find it
Ms W
94 posts

Re: I'll play with you, GiW!
Jan 26, 2003, 19:42
hehehe...knew u would!!! :-)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index