listening to music

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: listening to music
Jan 20, 2003, 20:21
Can't say as i agree with you guys. One of the amazing things about music - for me - is it's immediacy. So i'm a little confused by what's meant when Shrimp says
>
> if u have a long list that u listen to each week
> then u are not listening to any of them properly
>
That line seem to be suggesting that there's a "proper" way to listen to music (something i don't really get in the first place), and moreover that the proper way involves weeks, perhaps months of careful appraisal...

Some music sticks with you, follows you through the years and gets played often. Other stuff you take out and dust off every couple of years and get amazed all over again at how good it is. And then there's the music that you hear a few times one summer and never play again - but makes you go all goosebumpy when you hear it on the radio 7 years later.

There's throwaway pop that makes you feel good for the three minutes you hear it on the radio, and there's those albums that wrap you up warm and shepherd you through nights of hopelessness. There's protest songs whose lyrics inspire your soul to action, and deep dubby bass tracks that do the same for your body.

All of these are listened to "differently". There's no proper way to listen to music. So long as it stirs your emotions, or your loins... or makes you think, or just puts a smile on your face then you're listening to it right.

i think.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index